The Sewing Place

Vintage pinkers? Update

Snowgoose

Vintage pinkers? Update
« on: August 23, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
Little update to the below:  I found a lovely pair of pinkers for just six pounds including postage, vintage, beautiful condition and, best of all, they cut like a dream  :)  :)  :)

It may not be for everyone but, there are bargains to be found in lovely, pre-loved, vintage sewing accessories  :D

Looking for any advice, please!

I am searching on eBay for a pair of used pinking shears, vintage ones to go with my vintage  :vintage:  but haven't a clue what I should be looking at!!  So many different brands and lengths.  Please, is there any one particular make and length I should be looking for - or avoiding?

I can remember my mum had a pair of Richards Golden Age back in the day but they are long gone, sadly  :(

Very grateful for any help, please!  Thank you  :flower:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 14:17:48 PM by Snowgoose »

b15erk

Re: Vintage pinkers?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:13:21 AM »
SG, I bought a pair last year, can't remember what they were, but the name you mentioned sounds familiar.  Unfortunately, they didn't cut, even after sending them to be sharpened.

Best to try before you buy, particularly if they are expensive.  Mine only cost a few pounds, but I was disappointed.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 14:18:14 PM »
I honestly wouldn't buy used pinkers or any used scissors.  They are being sold for a reason, most likely they are unabld to be sharpened or hold a good edge any longer.  This is one time I firmly believe you get what you pay for.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 15:51:05 PM »
I have a pair of Singer pinking scissors, still in its' original cardboard box. Steel, with black painted handles. Not all, but quite a lot of the ones I've seen have hardly been used at all, and they are worth it. It's sharp and cuts well, but I haven't used it a lot. The prices vary a lot like with all vintage stuff.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 18:29:44 PM by arrow »

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 16:24:37 PM »
I've had a quick look on eBay and they all show pics of the scissors, but very few show an example of how they cut and the few that do appear to show pinked paper!  I would want to see examples of how they cut fine fabric and how they cut heavy fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Snowgoose

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 23:17:47 PM »
Thank you for your replies  :flower:  a lot to think about and ponder on  :[ 

Thank you!   :flower: