The Sewing Place

Cheap Sewing machine oil

b15erk

Cheap Sewing machine oil
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
I don't know why I never thought of it before. 

I've just acquired a Singer Featherweight, so cleaning and oiling will use quite a lot of oil.  I looked at the prices for Sewing machine oil, and it seemed quite expensive especially when you add in the postage, so I looked nearer to home.

We work near a company called Caldo which is quite a big local lubricants supplier, who OH deals with often.  While I was there, just on the off chance, I asked about Sewing Machine, or Gun Oil.  Of the two, Gun Oil is more expensive, so I went with the SM Oil.  Couldn't believe it when he came back with the price - £4-75 for a litre!

The chap I dealt with was bemused that I was so pleased with the price!

The one near my work, is in Sutton, St Helens, but I can only see two other depots listed:  one on Newton Abbot, and one in Rhuddlan, Denbighshire.

Failing that, check to see if you have a local lubricants distributor, and enquire at the Trade Counter.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

Re: Cheap Sewing machine oil
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll look out for local suppliers.  With a litre can, won't you need some sort of oil can or dispenser?

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »
I intend to  use an old Sewing machine oil container, although they did give me narrow straws which give one drip at a time.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »
Another good tip!

arrow

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 20:27:51 PM »
I like the oil bottles with a long nose (not sure what to call it in English). That's the best price ever, and you will have oil for the next decade too. I use oil around the house, bike and I go through two bottles a years. After I turend to telfon added oil, I haven't used that much of the basic sewing machine oil; it's a bit more pricey unfortunately but I like the smoothness. Thanks for the tip, Jessie, I shall investigate a bit more and see if there's a similar shop near me :- )