The Sewing Place

singer 404k

rowe1311

singer 404k
« on: August 22, 2017, 13:57:37 PM »
I went down to my local charity shop warehouse to drop off clothes and rags and sitting on the table were three sewing machines, and obviously my friend and I wanted to find out more. 

One was a Jones, another New Home without a pedal, and what I think is a singer 404. They were all off for scrap so my friend is going to rescue them for a time when she might start sewing classes, and they can't take money from them as they are not PAT tested. 

What I want to know is should I try ad steal the 404 from her?  She will keep them in her loft for when she might need them, but is it any good?  Obviously I have no idea how they all function but they don't feel too seized up.  I have enough machines and not sure what I would do with this one but it looks good and wonder if it is has any benefit over the 201k, or 15k? 

Roger

Re: singer 404k
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 14:25:21 PM »
Opps I got mixed up with the 403,

It's a straight stitch only, love the look of it, I'll do some digging later.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 14:33:45 PM by Roger »
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 15:48:35 PM »
It's the closest thing to a 201K2, with the gear driven motor. It's all metal, no belts or pulleys driving the mechanism. It's suppose to be easier to set up for free motion stitching compared to a 201, because of the bobbin case. Both are drop-in class 66, but not exactly the same. I think it has a stronger motor than the 201s too. Model 15 is a favorite with quilters, and I guess there's not much advatage in that respect. It's a slantomatic, and it was made to have better overview of the stitching and needle movenets, and they have their own line of buttonholers and accessories. It might have some userfriendly advantages; another is it's cast aluminium, weigh less than the older cast iron machines, but still sturdy enough.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 17:00:25 PM by arrow »

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 16:13:59 PM »
Unfortunately my friend got a call from the charity and someone else has taken them.  I am not sure whether they had been left out for them and we just so happened to see them, or whether someone else saw them too.  The chances of two people going into a warehouse and spotting them seems quite slim as it is not a busy place, but anyway no pondering anymore and perhaps that is a good idea.  I am sure more machines will be come her way and no doubt I will want to take the cream of the crop if she lets me look after them!!

Angela