The Sewing Place

Vintage Singer buttonholer

wrenkins

Vintage Singer buttonholer
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vintage-Singer-Sewing-Machine-Buttonhole-Attachment-86662-/112468969886?hash=item1a2fac499e:g:z9wAAOSwjKFZW7Be
Hi guys, I fond this whilst browsing fabric...again...and I've read how you all love your buttonholers so I thought I'd flag it up.
Feel free to move it if it should be in accessories or somewhere else.

2mins later...still browsing.
It seems the same seller has other vintage parts too. Just sayin'. ;-)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:41:06 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Surest1tch

Re: Vintage Singer buttonholer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »
In all honesty, if you are looking for one IMHO I think you'd be better looking for one with cams.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »
That one is quite expensive; £10-£20 is more like what one of those usually cost.

Personally I prefer my red and white buttonholer which is similar to that one, rather than  my Singer cam buttonholer.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 22:08:12 PM »
I have both types, the camless one requires adjustment of width and length and a bit of testsewing, and it's very good at what it does. I have the black version in the picture, the later with the "nose" behind the needle, the earlier are exactly the same but with out this tiny detail. Can be adjusted for any size within it's minimum to maximum range.

The versions with cams are very easy, no adjustments at all. Choose the cam size you need, any adjustment is related to tension and maching neede size and thread weight. This reminds me, I need to sort out the cams for mine, I need the extra set, and I need to confirm I get the right ones. I suspect there has been a mixup with mine.

The price isn't way off on this buttonholer, it's in good condtion box and all, complete with manual and fitting screws. Mine is missing the manual, and I guess I will have to pay a few  pounds to get it, and even more to get the additional cam set.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 22:10:09 PM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 20:58:44 PM »
Hi Arrow,

Which button holer do you have I might have a manual about I can send you copy of. No spare cams tho!

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 14:11:42 PM »
I have the black camless Singer  No. 86662 (card board box), and the black Singer No. 160506 with cams (in a dark green plastic box). I printer acted up on the pdf version available on the web, and they didn't come out as nice. I have an eye out for them on ebay, the cams too, but I haven't made it a priority.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 17:04:29 PM »
Hi Arrow,

I have a griest manual which looks very similar to your template one:https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0irabjh1h6m1d1/Greist%20Buttonholer.pdf?dl=0

Which might help, but I'm guessing you want the correct one.

The other I have at home, but I'm traveling this week. I can get a copy for you next week end.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 17:20:45 PM »
Thanks. Your Greist is probably exactly the same as mine. Greist made a lot of accessories for Singer, with and with out the Singer logo. I have used them both, oiled and cleaned, and it wasn't very difficult to find out how they work. There  might be some finer points I've missed. It's nice to have the accessories complete with all parts too, which probably is half the reason I have this on my mind ;- )