The Sewing Place

Taking the plunge!

Lowena

Re: Taking the plunge!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 18:59:05 PM »
I know what you mean Pearl, but I'm determined to hang on in there  :D
You realise your age when you think you can remember what to do but have to keep referring to the book for every step  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Snowgoose

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 13:33:56 PM »
This is so addictive  :D

My granny square is more of a squashed sausage  :o I can't keep count and the corners confuse me!!!  But, I think I can do double and half-double crochet stitches :D

I'm going to stay with rows at the moment, and not granny squares - my row ends look a bit tipsy, but at least there is a row!  Happy days  8)

Snowgoose

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 13:41:09 PM »
Your cat must be pampered, getting a specially crocheted cushion- don't tell my dogs!  :D

My little  :meow: is very pampered!!!  She has only been here a few weeks and is settling in very happily  :) She had a rough start to her life, and deserves to made to feel a bit special - but if the cushion ever gets made I'm not sure  :meow: will approve, it may not look like a cushion, more like a neon blancmange :o  8) My little  :woof: will be wanting something, too, so as not to be left out!

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 15:33:30 PM »
I've reignited my knitting gene as well.....I haven't knitted for 44yrs and even then I didn't finish the matinee jacket  :|
I have ordered a small book of teddies and their clothes to knit... and joined a group for beginner toy makers on FB.
Still been persevering with my crochet too.......too hot to be indoors, sewing so the quilt is taking a back seat for today

Ellabella

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 19:44:26 PM »
I've reignited my knitting gene as well.....I haven't knitted for 44yrs and even then I didn't finish the matinee jacket  :|
I have ordered a small book of teddies and their clothes to knit... and joined a group for beginner toy makers on FB.
Still been persevering with my crochet too.......too hot to be indoors, sewing so the quilt is taking a back seat for today
[/quote

Good lord Lowena, where will all this lead? ;)

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 10:10:24 AM »
Indeedy Ella....who knows what dizzy heights of creativity I can reach ? :D :D
Wonder if I'll actually ever produce anything ?  :D :D

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 14:57:44 PM »
I don't know if it will help anyone, but when I'm sewing, knitting or crocheting, I have a piece of work on the side, where I can practise stitches or techniques.  To make sure it looks right, but also to help with the number count.  It's a right dogs dinner by the time I'm done, but it helps to be able to have a go at the stitches with out mucking up my 'good' yarn.

I suppose it acts a bit like a toile, letting me make mistakes where it doesn't matter.

I saw a lovely teddy at DD's this weekend, garter stitch, and appears to be all in one piece.  Just off to find the pattern.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 17:48:34 PM »
I recently started to crochet (when i had no access to my sewing machine) and have managed to complete a cardigan only to realise that i had gone wrong with the first dozen rows on the back. I will live with it though. Now started a jumper.
I have attempted granny squares with absolutely no success at all, muttering "why can't i b****Y do this" as i pull another dismal attempt out.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Snowgoose

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 23:23:33 PM »
I can't do granny squares!  I've tried, but they don't make sense to me  :( I do like the half-double crochet stitch though  :) I was going to make a cushion cover for my little  :meow: but chained too many stitches, and it is growing into a  :meow: cuddle blanket instead  :D

I love that crochet grows so quickly and blankets are very forgiving of wonky bits  ;)

Sewbee

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 19:40:43 PM »
I can't tell you how many afghan blankets I have made from granny squares - and even a long waistcoat in the 70s - from granny squares. Design your own with colour and they all look different. Granny squares are wonderful as something to do with your hands while watching telly!