The Sewing Place

Ottobre jazzy jacquard dress

dolcevita

Ottobre jazzy jacquard dress
« on: August 27, 2017, 14:27:17 PM »
I can't justifiably put this into the summer dresses category as it's almost an all-year-round dress.

It's from the issue 5/2016 of Ottobre Woman which is their autumn/winter edition; they do 2 per year.  This is a very simple knit dress with a raised waist seam and shoulder detail.  It's barely more difficult to make than a t-shirt and is very wearable.  I finished it about 10 days ago and is about to go into the wash for the second time!

The fabric is a winter jersey from Fabricland at £4.99 per metre - I believe that they still have some in stock.  It washes very well and doesn't need ironing.  What more can you ask for?  If you get some of this, be cautious with the iron as the fabric won't take a lot of heat.

I have at least another 2 of these dresses on my list; they are so comfortable to wear and will go right through the year, apart from the warmest of days.

For anyone who doesn't have experience of Ottobre and this type of magazine, I've also attached a picture of the page from the magazine which also has instructions elsewhere that apply to all patterns.

Lowena

Re: Ottobre jazzy jacquard dress
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 15:09:09 PM »
Pretty fabric, nice dress  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 15:36:18 PM »
That's lovely... I think I have that issue... scuttles off to look!

PollyWally

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:55:33 AM »
Love the dress and the fabric.

fajita

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
That shoulder detail makes it look very smart.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
That's a very nice version of the Ottobre dress.  The dropped shoulder seam is a neat detail.  Have you emphasised it with edging?  It looks a bit like it from the photo, though it's hard to tell on my PC screen.  I made this dress back in January and also found it an easy pattern to sew and a very wearable, comfortable style.  Seeing your new dress has made me keen to sew another!

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 17:27:52 PM »
Hi Skoutsews, the neck edges, including where the back extends into the shoulder, ask for a binding or facing.  I didn't want to use my main fabric as it would have been too bulky, so I just faced it with some cotton navy jersey.  It worked well so I'll repeat with other thicker fabrics that I use for this pattern.

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 17:34:48 PM »
It works really well and brings out the shoulder detail.

Fiona M

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 19:01:35 PM »
A very lovely dress!

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 00:56:37 AM »
Beautiful dress in a lovely fabric, I'm always for making several renditions of a pattern I love  :)