The Sewing Place

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2017, 18:00:44 PM »
Really ?????  :o

No, very often they are made by other companies and 'badged' for another company.  The lower end of the Husqvarnas are definitely something I wouldn't bother with and I am a Husqvarna owner.  They are entirely different. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2017, 18:17:42 PM »
Oh gosh, so difficult.  But I'm glad you have discounted the Husky.  And just for info, as Elnnina said, the Orchidea is a VERY old machine and so is that software.  They are on a completely different system now.  Whilst the Orchidea was a beautiful machine, this one is definitely overpriced regardless of having software with it.  And there is no USB port, so you have to have the card and software.

Why is the lady near you selling?   I am a bit suspicious of the other as it is supposed to be almost brand new, so why sell?   I know sometimes people buy and then don't get on with them but I am also wary of them advertising discs with 'thousands of designs' on.  Completely  illegal!   I would want to see it working and check their paperwork and serial number on it against that on the machine. 

Sewbee

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2017, 18:19:48 PM »
Hi Gals

Well I have viewed two machines ... the husky ending tomorrow and the Brother 750E my friend Andrew told me about.
I know which I want ... the Brother hands down.

But which Brother 750E ????

Hubby is home for about 10 hours tomorrow evening and I'm going to hit him with the ... 'Haven't you ever wanted to visit Colchester Cathedral / Marina / Shopping centre ????

Reasons being :-

Colchester Brother ... indeed looks to be brand new, untouched (Why are they selling??) and has all the gadgets and gizmos (usually associated with a sale from SMD or the like) including, more importantly, the Software .... £675 + Petrol

Ferndown Brother (about 10 miles from me) ... lovely lady, showed me it to me in action, but has been used for 18 months (tho' she will be having it fully serviced) and comes with two extra hoops and nothing else. .... £550

What do you think Girls  ???

For a fairly small difference in price, I'd go with the new one in Colchester. :) (Love the way you plan to approach your hubby!)

Iminei

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2017, 19:38:55 PM »
I would want to see it working and check their paperwork and serial number on it against that on the machine.

Not even thought of that ... What would I be looking at/for ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lizzy777

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 19:58:57 PM »
You can buy a new Brother 750e at £699. You'll have the benefit of
the manufacturers warranty too?

Maybe add the software at a later date or buy used software?

Has the 750e been replaced by the 800? Or is the 800 a different model.

Didi

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
I have the Brother 750e and although to be honest I don't use it as much as I probably should it is very easy and I have never had any issues with it.

Software there are various packages available I use embriallance stitch artist - mainly because I am a MAC user and choice is very limited but it is modular so you only need to buy those modules you need, I have done very simple original designs but I have also used it to edit purchased designs

Designs there are literally thousands  of sites where you can purchase designs at very reasonable cost and quite often they will have free designs available as well. You can also buy CD's with designs on Anita Goodesign has some beautiful ones which can be made up into quilts

Hoops you can get compatible hoops at GUR which are what I use, you can "split" a design (if you have the software) which means you can do larger designs with smaller hoops all be it that it can be a bit fiddly

Threads these can work out very expensive because of course you "have" to have all the colours but again there are alternatives to the named brands out there embroidery4you sell brilliant threads

Stabiliser you will need various types for different fabrics but this is fairly easy to get hold of

The 800e is the updated version of the 750e with a colour screen I haven't  seen one in action so can't comment on it but it sounds as if the screen is better and there are more on machine editing options than with the Brother 750e
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:05:46 AM by Didi »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »
Simthreads are cheap and good, lots of recommendations for them, I use them with no problems, available here - https://www.embroideredjust4u.co.uk/  I also use pre-wound bobbins, remarkably cheap and apparently they hold twice as much thread as home-wound ones.

Iminei

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »
apparently they hold twice as much thread as home-wound ones.

I can believe that! :)

You can buy a new Brother 750e at £699. You'll have the benefit of
the manufacturers warranty too?

Where did you see that Lizzie ??? I can only find new ones for £899 ...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:37:11 AM by Iminei »

Lizzy777

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2017, 09:50:26 AM »
Hi Imi, I was going to post the link yesterday but the page disappeared and I didn't understand why. Think the shop must have been doing some work on the site. Anyway I have found it again today. I am going to send you a pm with the link s I wonder if they only have one in stock? Look at the price today.

lizzy

** sorry just saw it is a pre owned machine but it has a 1 years warranty. Wonder if it is a shop model?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:57:52 AM by Lizzy777 »

Iminei

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
Thank you sooo much Lizzy ...

Yes, what a bargain, and I was on the phone like a shot; I spoke to a lovely Lady called Angela, but Im afraid it is one of the machines they take in as part exchange... a pre-owned machine ... and they don't have the packaging to send it out!

So whilst Im sure the good people of Oswaldthwistle (yes really!!!) and its environs appreciate the access they have to an incredible bargain, Im afraid its not for me!

Still for the Eagle Eyes Award, you win, hands down!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2017, 21:33:16 PM »
I would want to see it working and check their paperwork and serial number on it against that on the machine.

Not even thought of that ... What would I be looking at/for ????

I'm very suspicious of eBay machines.   I'm sure many are fine but one lady I know sent a link to an overlocker for me to look at.  It was listed as a  Janome and had a Janome box.  When I managed to zoom in and look closely it was in fact a Jaguar machine!  :o.  Nice little machines but ........!!
And I have seen several people get ripped off on eBay after paying way over the odds for an old machine, like the Orchidea.  It is horrible having to tell someone they have been had when their machine malfunctions and is not repairable. 

I would want to see the machine working to make sure it does!  The machine's serial number should be on the back and I would check it matched their original paperwork, a bit like a car vehicle identification number.   The paperwork should satisfy you that it is their machine to sell.  (I've seen that little game too). 

The Brother 750 is no longer available unless you can find a dealer that has any left.  But it isn't likely there will be many around.  I was using the 2600 yesterday and it is the same as the 800 but with sewing as well. They are very easy and intuitive machines compared to other makes. 

As for offers, a new set of offers came into force today.  But I can,t remember what they are offhand! :[

Iminei

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2017, 06:36:51 AM »
Thank you OSS, Well I sat and watched (I would not say with great satisfaction, would I ???) as the Faux Husky ticked down on ebay yesterday ... and of the 14 or so watchers that the lady said she had, not one bid a penny!

Sad for the seller I know but as for someone who saw the machine, Im glad as they would've been disappointed ... the house was chaotic, they didn't know how to make it work! Maybe she will relist with a more tempting starting price.

Popeye arrived back on shore yesterday evening and I told him my tales of derring do (yes, a jaunt out to Midsomer Quilting counts as derring do in my book, especially as I used the Prat Nav for the very first time ... Only went off piste twice too ... impressive I'm sure you'll agree) and my investigations into the world of embroidery machines.

So he is now armed with all the informations and I'm going to leave it to him.
I'm ferrying him to the Marina this morning as he's starting his Coastal Skipper course today, so will be away (albeit in Poole, half an hour away from home) for the week.

Lizzy777

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »
Sorry about that Imi. The first time I looked on that site it was showing as new at £699 but when I went back to get that same link it had disappeared (hence me not posting the link originally) and then finding that link for the pre owned one for £599(but didn't realise it was preowned at first). I didn't realise they were so far away either. Shame that as you do get a one years warranty on it.

Regarding the one on eBay that sounds a bit too good to be true? I would be concerned that they want cash on collection because that means you would have no protection from eBay would you? I prefer always to pay by paypal. Best to be covered as it is a lot of money to pay out. Hopefully with the new models maybe there will be more people changing their machines so more Brother 750e's about for re sale. I will keep my eyes peeled to the net though for anything else I can see.

Brother, I think, offer interest free on their new machines if bought from a dealer. That may be worth a mention too as I was looking around their site to see if they had an outlet shop (which they don't appear to have), but saw the interest free offer on there.

lizzy

BrendaP

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2017, 08:18:51 AM »
apparently they hold twice as much thread as home-wound ones.

I can believe that! :)

Yes they do hold more because they are wound very evenly and are filled right to the edge.  Normal winding on a home machine stops before the bobbin is completely full.  Just be sure that you get the right size for the machine you will be using them on.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=prewound-bobbin-information

https://www.gs-ukdirect.com/43-pre-wound-bobbins

http://www.madeira.co.uk/threads/bobbin-threads/169/

https://www.barnyarns.co.uk/prewound-bobbins-superbobs/

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei