The Sewing Place

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!

Stitches

Re: Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
I use Marathon 100% Viscose Rayon and find them good have lots of fun when you open your box up .

Morgan

« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2017, 12:12:16 PM »

The box of threads that came with Elvis are Marathon 100% Viscose Rayon ... Any good??
and there are two rolls of stabiliser, one seems a pretty normal standard stuff (exactly the width of the largest hoop)
and there is a roll that reminds me of the sticky back plastic I used on my exercise books at school.
Its called Neschen ????

The Software it comes with is the Brother PE Plus, which (I understand) is the full package!!! Woo Hooo!

Marathon Rayon 40s threads - just fine, good to start with

About which stabiliser for which fabric - This fabric/stabiliser guide is a really good place to start
Emblibrary.com has lots of short video tutorials about how to - they're worth watching.

Neschen sticky plastic - not sure what use it has for embroidery.
I wouldn't consider using it as a sticky back stabiliser.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:14:57 PM by Morgan »

Iminei

« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:11 PM »
No Morgan, its not sticky back plastic (at least I don't think it is) it just looks like the rolls we used to have...
With a grid on one side (which looks like it peels off) and the the other side feeling like fabric/stabiliser ??!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
IMI!!!! How can you resist? I'd be dying. But then again...I've had my machine for two months and only embroidered one design  :[
I hope you'll be happy with it :)
The stabilizer sounds like Vilene Filmoplast (which it probably is) - https://www.empressmills.co.uk/shop/vilene-range/embroidery-vilene/filmoplast/
Morgan, quick question about thread: I have poly thread and my machine has auto tensioning, and it seems to tension properly. In this case...is it worth investing in Rayon thread as well? What would the difference be?

Iminei

« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Quick Question from me too....

Obviously the lady that had this (young mum of 3 in her early 30's methinks) used some of the threads so they are open, and when we took them out of the car yesterday (was it only yesterday?) the lid of the box came off and some of the threads fell out and began unspooling (into a bag) and I spent a good quarter of an hour getting them all tidy and back in the box ...

How do you keep the threads tidy after they have been opened???

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »
I get thread nets and cut them to she size of the spool.  Bit of a faff, but keeps them tidy, otherwise they do just unravel.  I made storage boxes from a plastic box, a hot glue gun and golf tees - works brilliantly.

Acorn

« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2017, 13:01:21 PM »
Wot Bodge said.  These.  I have occasionally needed to use them on the spool whilst embroidering, but not usually.  I got some free with my machine and it took me ages to figure out what they were for.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Morgan

« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2017, 13:13:50 PM »
Morgan, quick question about thread: I have poly thread and my machine has auto tensioning, and it seems to tension properly. In this case...is it worth investing in Rayon thread as well? What would the difference be?

I use either Rayon or Polyester depending on the project.

Rayon is softer and not as 'springy' as polyester so ideal for clothing especially children's wear.  Polyester has a harder feel, harder wearing and more colourfast than rayon but can melt if your iron is too hot.  Watch this video
I never use polyester for lace (the finish is too harsh) and use either Rayon or a fine 60s cotton
(Tip: Remember it's the eye of an embroidery needle that usually wears out before the point.  Polyester thread will wear the needle eye more and quicker than rayon.  Whilst you can use a polyester or a metallic in a needle that's been used to stitch rayon, don't use a needle that's been used to stitch polyester (or metallics) for anything else.)

The difference between the threads http://cn.madeira.de/index.php?id=1600.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4574/choosing-machine-embroidery-threads/page/all

Morgan

« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2017, 13:17:27 PM »
No Morgan, its not sticky back plastic (at least I don't think it is) it just looks like the rolls we used to have...
With a grid on one side (which looks like it peels off) and the the other side feeling like fabric/stabiliser ??!!

Re stickyback stabiliser - plenty of info and tutorials re how to hoop and use it - cutting a window etc. 
Keep it in reserve and use only when you have to for tricky little projects like embroidering a motif on something tricky and stretchy like a babygrow.
See page 7 here
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 13:20:55 PM by Morgan »

Iminei

« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2017, 13:21:52 PM »
Thx for that Morgan.

The lady said she had embroidered on soft blankys so that's probably what she used it for!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2017, 14:00:30 PM »
Marathon are lovely threads.  I mix and match any I have no problem.
I stopped using that sticky stabiliser some years ago as it can make the needle sticky and lead to shredded thread.  Something to keep in mind. I now use Floriani one which you dampen to stick fabric to.

Iminei

« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2017, 13:08:56 PM »
Well I'm fairly Peeped off, I can tell you!

Been searching the web for any decent tutorials on how to get started!

Not how to thread it ... I'm fairly confident I can thread a machine by now, but how to go through the process of selecting designs and the permutations for chosen design.

Brother has a couple of YT vids that are just advertising the machine ...bigger hoop, start stop, needle up or down etc ... no tutorial as such and there is precious little else, that I can find, out there!

I've even tried Craftsy ... (Whats happened to Craftsy??? Seems expensive at the mo) they have some Machine embroidery online classes but is there one for the complete beginner??

I need something that takes you ...fairly quickly, through the ... here is your machine, thread, hoop, to the here is your design, these icons mean this and you can alter this, that and the other, here's how to do this, here's how to do that ... sort of thing.

Imself has just come in from the garden, surprised that I haven't knocked out a couple of Tshirts for him yet!!!

Harrumph!!!

Maybe I should just go and play .....  :devil:

Morgan

« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2017, 13:43:16 PM »
Okay lets get you started -

My approach tends to be to play and discover, but it can be useful to watch some video tutorials beforehand if only to give you the confidence to try things out.

A set of video tutorial/demos for absolute beginners getting started.
Although they are made for Husqvarna, 95% of the content applies to any domestic embroidery set up.
The videos take you through everything in a very straight forward non-technical manner.
Jump to Videos 5 Hooping and 6 Embroidering to have a quick try out.

Set of absolute beginner video tutorial/demos

and for getting started with the 750E - this (silent) video is a demo that takes you through step by step
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 13:57:26 PM by Morgan »

Elnnina

« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2017, 16:05:51 PM »
Oh have you opened the box yet Imi, looking forward to hearing all your exploits with this wonderful new machine.  I well remember on getting mine back home as soon as it was plugged in there was this high pitched whine, I wondered what on earth had I done as it was not like this before.  So switched it off and on again and it still had this dreadful noise.  The bobbin winder mechanism had been knocked into position and this was what was causing the whine – apparently it has happened before, glad the answer was so simple.  Then one day I found a strange piece of very delicate metal on the floor near my feet, I call this filigree metal as it has parts cut away and it shivers in the hand.  It was so lucky that I had not run my chair over this, but was puzzled as to where it had come from and this actually lies in the bottom of my bobbin case, so now I am always extremely careful when removing the bobbin case from my machine.  Of course there is nothing about these sorts of things in the instruction manual.

Oh how helpful Morgan has been – and yes thank you Morgan from me too, as I am still in awe of my machine, and I too will go looking at the link you have put up on getting started.  I am very aware that there is an awful lot that can go wrong with these fabulous embroidery machines, so there is no harm in just slowing down and trying to go through the instructions slowly and methodically.

You should see the trouble I get in with my buttonholes, I just loved the thought of stitching repeat buttonholes over and over again with each one identical to the first, but that did not happen to me, instead I got all sorts of odd looking buttonholes, the first bead would stitch fine, but the second bead  would not sometimes only going halfway down, others overshooting the top altogether, I was almost pulling my hair out with frustration – then I was told by a Machine Dealer that it was possible that my sensor in the machine was a bit dusty with debris thrown up from stitching – and yes it was as simple as that.  So nowadays I still start off with a couple of trial buttonholes to make sure that I have closed the stitch length up enough to cover the cord I use  (corded buttonholes) and then I also make sure that I have dusted over the two lots of sensors – one on the side of the foot and one up in the machine near the needle (this is a Bernina combined sewing and embroidery machine).  Just simple little things but what a difference this makes.

So go and have lots of fun exploring your new toy and all its extras, will be following your adventures and shall look forward to seeing what you are embroidering.  You never know you might well inspire me to delve more into my own machine.

What got me interested in a machine that could sew and embroider was seeing an article in a back copy of Sewing World, and this was the most delicious rose buds – so delicate and looking just like a rosebud would look in real life.  Now just a few weeks ago I was notified that Sue Box embroideries from Australia was offering a fantastic discount on her  Golden Classic Collection disc, and of course on this was this gorgeous rosebud, so this was a very late birthday present (last January) from my husband. So I do urge you to go looking at her website  suebox.com  and as I mentioned the other day you can get these designs in many different formats, just make sure you specify what format your machine will take.  The actual CD came airmail  just as it was in a special airmail postpak – no paperwork at all included and NO CUSTOMS DUTY AT ALL, however Peter Cheney who is the Managing Director for Sue Box asked if I wanted the paperwork etc. sent as a PDF, and this is how it came.  So whilst I have not even tried stitching anything from this, I must say I am very impressed as to how this company works, and I certainly will look into buying more designs from them in due course.

I had for Christmas last year a book that took my fancy and is by Elizabeth Keegan called The Complete Machine Embroidery Manual published by Search Press – I bought this from Book Depository and it was under the £12.99 quoted on the back cover, so perhaps something else for you to put on your ‘Wish List’.

Have a wonderful time getting to know the ins and outs of your new machine, I am sure Mr. Imi will be delighted to help you out should you get stuck, you never know he will be the best dressed Coastal Skipper proudly wearing all those T shirts that can be embroidered for him.

Iminei

« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2017, 16:08:54 PM »
Thank you Morgan, I'll have a lookieloo...

In the meantime, Elvis is out of the box!!!!!

I have played very briefly with the software and constructed two 'designs'

Hubby saw the first one and went past mumbling something along the lines of ..... maybe it would be wise to try a simple one colour design first just to get an idea of the thing' ...... so I saved it and went back to the thousand of files on the disk that came with Elvis and started another.

When I had finished this time around he was in the garden, playing with his tender (OOOH NO! Missus, that isn't an euphemism !!) so I crept upstairs, fished out some gash from my stash, hooped up, up and away.......

Lessons learned ... Don't even think of moving your hand near the embroidery card slot; it will dislodge, the machine will stop and when you re-insert the card and re-enter the design, it will assume you want to start from the beginning ..... Steep learning curve and much riffling of pages later and I have the needle back to the approximate position it stopped in ...not perfect but near enough.

There are a couple of puckers; this was either because I hadn't hooped the fabric tightly enough or because I had squished the design in a bit, and the stitching was too dense in those areas ... Who knows ?? but overall its not too bad for a first time stitch, methinks!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 17:23:37 PM by Iminei »