The Sewing Place

Binding

Bodgeitandscarper

Binding
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »
I make jersey tops, but the bit I hate is cutting binding for the neck and armholes (if sleeveless)  I have recently discovered a long ruler-cutter-thing, but that has to be moved along the fabric and I have to move the cutting mat underneath, as it's not very big.  Jersey always seems to wriggle around and crumple or stretch.  How does everyone cut their strips of jersey? 

jen

Re: Binding
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »
I usually cut mine with scissors, measuring the first bit, then flipping the cut piece over to use as a guide to the width. It's not especially quick, someone may come in with a better system. It occurs to me that if you had a lot to cut it might be possible to use the overlocker. This would be quick if you sorted the width measurement out. The technique I use for necklines and armholes on T shirt styles is to overlock or zigzag the doubled binding to the neckline, turn it inside and mock coverstitch with a double needle. What do you do?

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
I use either scissors or rotary cutter to cut binding.  I measure with ruler and pencil, make a mark, and cut. More usually I just use scissors unless the cutting mat is already out.  If the jersey slides about, use spray starch.

I like that when you make your own binding, it is exactly what you want, and exactly matches whatever you are making.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »
I make a point of buying a reasonably firm knit jersey, viscose and cotton are usually fine, but some types of very stretchy jersey blends have been difficult. They can even require special needles for the fabric not to tear or unravel during basic stitching. Binding with jersey is more fuzz, I think that's just part of the game. I haven't found any special tricks, it's the same as for regular fabric; ironing folds in place, basting, aligning the layers up carefully; I will note down any clever tricks ;- )

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
The first tops I have did I made I my own and to be honest I didn't like the way they looked.  Newer patterns have had a band pattern piece in and to be honest I do like the way they turn out and prefer them rather than using more like a bias binding and I get to use my coverstitch on them.  I've started saving all my leftovers in case I can use them on the neck in future, especially the patterned ones.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »
My 'new' Singer 201 came with a scissors guide in the box of accessories.  You slide the tip of your scissors into the end and set the slider to the width required.  It does work, but IMO an acrylic ruler and rotary cutter is easier.

Helen Howes has them, about half way down the page.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 13:12:36 PM »
24 inch Quilting rulers a rotary cutter...everything else I cut out clothes wise is with scissors