The Sewing Place

Hi there!

daisy

Hi there!
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Hello,

I've only recently discovered your wonderful forum. I do a bit of sewing when time allows. Simple items of clothing for my two young children and bits and pieces for the house, but mostly I enjoy tinkering about with a few vintage machines I've gathered.

I've mixed feelings about registering. I've been spending way too long lurking around the Vintage Machines subforum  and I'm looking forward to joining in when I can and learning loads, but I fear that exposure to like-minded folk will just enable my habit  0_0.

Daisy

fajita

Re: Hi there!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »
Hello, welcome.
Don't fight the enabling, it will get you anyway, so just immerse yourself.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
Some habits need enabling - and if you get short of room, there's always my favourites, vintage toy sewing machines  0_0

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 13:48:02 PM »
Welcome Daisy to our lovely forum that's  just stuffed with 

:fabric: :pattern: :snip: :vintage: :pin: :thread: :sew: :sew: :loveit:

I forgot the  :toast: :gin: :drink:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 14:34:34 PM »
Welcome Daisy!

The enabling process here is very subtle.  It starts with pretty pictures, and lots of nice people saying ooh, and ahhh, then you admire a machine, and have other people tell you about the machines they love..... then other people join in to enthuse about their machines.....

Before you know it, you have more machines than you can shake a stick at!  ;)

Ask me how I know  :S :loveit: :sew: :vintage: :fabric:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 15:14:05 PM »
Hello and welcome. I don't have any vintage machines so I won't be an enabler. Enjoy the forum.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

daisy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 16:19:09 PM »
Thank you all for the very warm welcome.

Maximum

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 21:02:21 PM »
Welcome to TSP. I have modern machines and love their scope but I've also got a "few" vintage ones that always make me smile. They are easy to keep, don't get huffy if you abandon them for months and happily plough through whatever you throw at them - what's not to like? And they don't cost hundreds. Enjoy your sewing and your machines - it's good for your health :D

Roger

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 21:21:42 PM »
Hi welcome daisy!

So tell us about your machines?

No enabling here... no sir-ee!

But we're always happy to help someone find a sturdy sewer... or a retro dream machine!

Looking forward to seeing you about!

Roger
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 21:40:54 PM »
Hi Daisy, don't fight the urge hun, best thing is to just go with it.
Welcome from me too  :D

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 00:54:56 AM »
A warm welcome from me too Daisy. No need to fear the enabling, just go with the flow.... I am currently podering whether I should take my vintage Singer 338k to oir holiday home to join my little Featherweight there, or try to find another one, to have one in Hong Kong and one in Thailand  :devil: