The Sewing Place

The Husqvarna is here

Surest1tch

The Husqvarna is here
« on: August 30, 2017, 20:39:55 PM »
As promised, pics of the Husqvarna 21E I bought a couple of weeks ago. 
It needed a new bulb (no problem) and I've cleaned the parts I've got the tools to get it apart with, it really was incredibly dirty!
I've also given it a good soaking in oil as it looks like it hadn't had an oil can near it in years, it sounds as sweet as a nut when it's running so I'm so I'm really chuffed with it.
I'm going to take it to my mechanic on Friday and will let him give it a good service, I don't know what damage may have been done to it if it's been used without oil for a while plus I think in view of its age PAT test wouldn't be a bad thing.
Hope you like it but I really have got to stop buying them now  :'( :S

arrow

Re: The Husqvarna is here
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 20:47:56 PM »
It's a nice machine. The ones I have had my hands on have been speedy and the motor noticeably stronger than the average. If it ever get's stuck in reverse, it needs oil and particular attention to the parts behind the reverse push button. I have never seen extra cam sets for it like you have, I tought it was limited to one stack of disks. Some have a "two track" motor pulley, a gear exchange when you need extra strength or steady low speed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 20:49:47 PM by arrow »

Maximum

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 20:49:41 PM »
That is a beautiful machine and the colour is something else. Do hope the service doesn't reveal anything nasty. Good luck and enjoy. I always use a circuit breaker on vintage machines even if they have new wiring - my OH made me promise!

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 21:05:18 PM »
That is a beautiful machine and the colour is something else. Do hope the service doesn't reveal anything nasty. Good luck and enjoy. I always use a circuit breaker on vintage machines even if they have new wiring - my OH made me promise!

Thank you for that advice, I never thought of using a circuit breaker, I must pick one up next time I'm near the shops.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 21:21:43 PM »
That's lovely.  Just like some they had in the Adult Education Centre when I worked there, though they were already semi-vintage by that time.  Chosen because they could take any amount of abuse from students - and I know that they only got oiled once, maybe twice a year if they were lucky. 

I used to get 10 hours a year to stock-take (sewing, weaving, lacemaking and art stock) and clean and oil the sewing machines!  It came down to maybe one morning a year during the summer break to check them over, apply some oil and report if anything wasn't working.  I doubt very much that anyone else ever went near them with an oil can unless there was a problem which meant calling in a service/repair technichian.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 17:16:52 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 21:23:01 PM »
I always use a circuit breaker on vintage machines even if they have new wiring

I bought myself one just this morning. 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 21:34:45 PM »
...Chosen because they could take any amount of abuse from students - and I know that they only got oiled once, maybe twice a year if they were lucky...
Very odd, because basic cleaning and oiling will mean less trouble and expence later on. The sewing machines at the school I went to the teacher was very proud of the stock of machines they had; they were kept clean and oiled. I think on of the male teachers who taught metal and wood work shop came up to the sewing teacher regularly. She made sure they were set correctly, tension and all that, while he took care of the oiling and anything more mechanically. I actuall think it was once a week. Most of the machines were Singers, probably from the 70s, simple but extra sturdy straight stitch - zigzag machines. There were one or two 201s I think, but I didn't know at the time.