The Sewing Place

Vogue Patterns Magazine

Catllar

Vogue Patterns Magazine
« on: August 31, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »
Anyone here subscribe to this one? Just had a teaser via my email and whilst it looks interesting I wonder if it's worth the 78$ US for 6 copies per year?  Thoughts??
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Fabric Lover

Re: Vogue Patterns Magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »
Catlar, I've been subscribing to  Sew Today for years, it used to be called Vogue Patterns but changed to incorporate Butterick and McCalls.  Is this a new separate magazine? I used to be delighted with my subscription due to the ability to buy patterns half price, well not really as you have to buy two and get the cheapest free! But since you can frequently buy patterns half price at various times throughout the year now anyway, it seems less of a good idea! They do have interesting articles though, that is something. The photos are only the same as on the website/in the catalogue.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
I have bought Sew today in the past, but not recently.  For me, 'the law of diminishing returns' prevents me from subscribing to anything as sooner or later I realise that I haven't even read the last copy when the next lands on the doorstep.

Catllar

Fabric Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 16:06:20 PM »
No I guess you're right. I wonder if it will be an American issue? I stopped subscribing to Threads magazine as all the ads
were US based, as well as any offers/competitions/ events etc.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 16:53:03 PM »
This is the link : https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/vogue-patterns-magazine-octobernovember-2017?utm_source=VPMON17&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VPMON17 

Don't think it is Sew Today!

Indeed not.  You can download the magazine FOR FREE* from here - a sampler of the current edition is already up and eventually the full edition will be uploaded.

*This option is not obvious and the download will take about 30 minutes, but you can wonder away and something else.

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 17:04:49 PM »
Thanks for that Link Utta   :*
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 23:36:44 PM »
Thanks for the link - I tried it but it says the"publisher has chosen not to allow downloads for this publication" and won't let me do it :'(

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
 :| I didn't actually try downloading and made the assumption that it was downloadable as I have several issues of Threads on my hard drive.

elephun

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 16:06:25 PM »
This page says there is an option for a digital-only subscription for $15.99, though it doesn't actually have an option for purchase on that page that I can see. It might be worth an email to them to see how to get the digital only option.

I subscribed to both Vogue and Threads for a number of years and just recently stopped. I stopped because between the two magazines, it seemed like the topics for the articles repeated themselves as time went by (over many years). I think this is to be expected to a certain extent and isn't a complaint.

I enjoyed the Vogue magazine when I subscribed. I found it to be on par with, or slightly better than Threads.

I'm in the US, and my subscription cost less than it would in France.

I like that $15.99 price point for the digital only subscription. Then, if you do love it, you can shell out for the hard copy subscription at $78, or not.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 21:03:37 PM »
Looking through the sample pages,  I loved the shirtdress with applique.  What a wonderful way to embellish a plain fabric, thanks for flagging this up!  Now I need to make a note before I forget it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 21:32:01 PM »
Sew Today is the UK version of the Vogue mag. It has most of the US articles but ads etc are British. I stopped subscribing a few years ago when they stoped the buy one get one free on the patterns. I don't think it is good value now. I am at this very moment working on the other Julio Cesar applique pattern - the boxy shirt. It does require some slashing of fabric which I probably won't do!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 23:06:59 PM »
If you are a member and subscribe to Sew Today you can get all the patterns from the Sew Direct website for 40% off - you don't have to buy two. Not bad I think? They are the same pattern pictures as on the website but as the photos are much bigger in the magazine it's easier to see pattern features and I often find I like them much better.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 07:29:09 AM »
You pay postage if your pattern order is less than £20. Unless you buy a lot of patterns it didn't seem worth it to me once I added the cost of the subscription especially as it used to be 50% off and no postage a few years ago. If you can persuade yourself to wait for the half price pattern sales then that's the best value. However you do have to wait.....  >:)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 21:55:55 PM »
I canned my Threads sub this year - got repetitive  and some of the content wasn't brilliant quality, it seemed to me. I might try one issue of the Vogue magazine, but I don't enjoy digital publications - hmm.