The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018

Iminei

The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
Oh yes Ladies, you read that right.

I am proposing that The Sewing Place members of The Dark Side enter a Group Quilt to next years Festival of Quilts.

Wondering around the fabulous quilts on display this year, I noticed how many, how varied and how gorgeous the group quilts were and thought ... We could do that! (and you remember what happened last time I thought that!!!) and what a wonderful way of getting The Sewing Places' name out to more people!

I talked the idea over a bit with some of the peeps I met during the show and found great enthusiasm for the idea and have been trying to assimilate some ideas/guidelines to bring the project together since then.

A lot of the group quilts were not even one quilt; more individual quiltettes hung together.
All a uniform size, Using the same fabric as a background to keep a consistent theme throughout.
The ExDC groups entry 'Amsterdam Houses' was particularly effective in this manner as they hung so beautifully together you did not realise they were separate entities until close up!

Take a look at the Group quilts in The Sewing Places Bears Tour of the FoQ and have a look at all the different variations

https://goo.gl/photos/b7sgmdVzSEkaFeyx9

They are to be found towards the end of the album.

So we need some ideas ....

We need a theme, a consistent size and a consistent fabric used throughout.

For instance my immediate thought was that everyone who wanted to join in with this endeavour could produce a piece that represented where they lived, something of note in their locale. For instance a member living in Wiltshire could quilt/applique Stonehenge.

I also thought it would be nice if we included our usernames on the front of the piece, maybe along with the area you live.

So for myself ... imagining sizes, fabrics etc ... going down that particular route;

I would produce an A4 sized, landscape orientated piece portraying The Jurassic Coast with a Black and white spotty fabric binding (supplied by TSP). I would embroider my username ... Iminei ... on the top edge and ... Dorset ... on the bottom edge and would then post it off by a set date to a collator.

If we wanted to join the pieces into a single quilt, we could either have the pieces quilted by each member prior to collation and then QAYGed together or joined and longarmed by a member of The Sewing Place willing to undertake this aspect of the quilt.

Although we are a predominantly UK based group, we have members all over the world and I thought maybe this was an aspect we could incorporate into the quilt; by having your National Flag sewn in one area of your submission ...

Maybe we have a member of The Sewing Place with an embroidery machine who would volunteer to embroider the flags, send them out for you to attach to your work, before you submit your piece to the collator ... That would keep that aspect of the quilt consistent.

So what I am asking from you now are your views, ideas and opinions.

Do you think this is a viable idea ?  Do you want to join in ? Have you a theme you would like considered ?
Are you able to offer your time on a particular aspect of the entry ?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:39:57 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

Re: The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:29:44 AM »
What a lovely idea, Imi.  I could do a naked lady on a white horse.   :D :D :D

Fajita

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 13:52:25 PM »
I like the idea in principle.
Will put thinking cap on.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 15:59:37 PM »
I would love to join in!  I don't think I could better your idea Iminei - I have been picturing the landscape around here in quilt form for ages.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 16:40:47 PM »
I also like the thought and think your idea for home locations is excellent. 
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 18:19:12 PM »
Loving it but I'm useless. I'll give it a go and if it's tripe I'll just pretend I didn't  >:)  0_0

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 18:28:46 PM »
Does it have to be applique? I've never attempted small scale applique.... or applique which is machine sewn. The foot on my machine ( as you saw for yourself Imi  ) does not allow you to see clearly where to stitch in relation to the motif, so I would be scuppered. If it's not applique I would love to join in  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 19:25:21 PM »
I'll give it a go and if it's tripe I'll just pretend I didn't.

Ditto, but I'm going to relocate to a picturesque area of the country first.

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 19:50:42 PM »
Way out of my  comfort zone!!

why the hell not!
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 22:12:36 PM »
This is a lovely idea and I hope you get it all to work.

I remember I loved a winning Group quilt a few years ago, of 5 or 6 beach huts.

At the moment, I'm not at all inspired by 'Bilston', or my surroundings. It's not a pretty place to live. We used to have steelworks in the area, and going way back, lots of coal mining. ><  I'm not feeling creative with these in mind, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see where you go with it.

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 22:41:19 PM »
I don't think any of us would tell on you if you pretended you lived somewhere else...   :devil:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
Glad to hear that people are interested.

We do need some guide lines first ... and thinking of Lows predicament (Can you not change the feet on your machine Low to an open-toed clear plastic one ??? ) ... I think we should have an option for People who Prefer to Piece or PPP's from now on!

I'm thinking of some long thinnish strips of piecing running down the quilt perhaps, almost like a border to break up the appliques  ???

What do we think of that ???

But we would still need your name and location embroidered top and bottom.

I know nothing of Bilston, (tho apparently the drummer from Slade hails from there .. but we wont hold that against Bilston will we ??!) and  I don't think we need to be super specific about exactly where we all live.

I live in Blandford Forum but I will state my locale as Deepest Darkest Dorset so what about looking at the wider area of the West Midlands ? If however you have a gift of a locale such as Coventry ... go right ahead with Lady Godiva.

I could do the Cerne Abbas Giant ??! which is nearer to me than the Jurassic Coast and more of an option for some humour too!

So lets think of some colourways, nice patternways for the PPP's and whether we are going to go landmarks/ myths and legends/ scenery etc

If you are interested can we have a list of names and locations and whether you would like to applique or are a PPP'er ... then we can see how many peeps are in and work out sizes etc and maybe some one else, on looking at your location, will come up with a fab idea for a panel.

Where is Brenda when we need her??? Haven't seen her around the Dark Side for a while.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »
Now I'm much happier as a PPPer  :D.

Could we have varied PPP strips in the same fabrics or would that look too bitty?

Happy to fit in with everyone, just vastly relieved I can contribute without having to be too arty!
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »
If you remember Iminei, we looked through all the feet and there weren't any suitable ones. It is clear plastic between the toes, but neither you nor I could see clearly ( you were quite frustrated if I remember and said how superior the Splurge was  :D :D) I'll practise in the meantime, and if I can't manage it, I'll deffo join in with the piecing. Good idea of yours  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »
Imi Brenda's at a wedding ( in Warrington?).. the one she's been making the wedding present quilt for.
So I would like to take part and am happy to applique I live in very rural landscape so think greens ( sorry Low) if the theme was where you live ...
Am a beginner at quilting so was wondering if you could make the sashing look like window frames? is that even possible?

I suppose my nearest tourist attraction would be Bury St Edmunds or Lavenham 

Sorry Bury Pic didn't link.. Mind you  with Lavenham  it wouldn't matter if things weren't straight
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:30:33 AM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz