The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018

Lowena

Re: The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
Before anyone suggest it...... I'm not doing Ross Poldark with his shirt off  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 11:35:47 AM »
Oh but think what fun you could have with a hairy chest Low  :ninja:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Deafoldbat

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
Right, let's all calm down and do some thinking. (yes, I'm being bossy, but I'll try not to do it for too long).

We have to bear in mind the conditions of the competition - we need to check the requirements of FoQ.

The 'quilt' is open to any member of TSP, not just the Dark Siders. The techniques can be any permitted by the FoQ rules - pieced, appliqued, embroidered, embellished etc, but it must have 3 layers and be quilted in some way. No panel will be excluded because anyone thinks it's not good enough. (We'll just tuck it down in the corner! ;))

The size must be exact, including the bindings. We need to decide if the panels are landscape or portrait before we begin. They should all be bound in the same colour/fabric, and the bindings must be the same width. The subject should reflect the maker's local area - it does not have to be chocolate box twee - it can be street scene, industrial, countryside or townscape - whatever.

It makes sense for each panel to be a finished item in its own right. They can be joined into a giant wall-hanging by buttons or velcro or hanging sleeves, but we (I) don't want a 'thing' that no one will want afterwards. The panels can then be returned to the individual makers and they can bin them or treasure them ever after as they wish.

Well, that's a few thoughts for starters - anyone else want to put their oar in?  :)

Kad

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 13:28:55 PM »
If you remember Iminei, we looked through all the feet and there weren't any suitable ones. It is clear plastic between the toes, but neither you nor I could see clearly ( you were quite frustrated if I remember and said how superior the Splurge was  :D :D) I'll practise in the meantime, and if I can't manage it, I'll deffo join in with the piecing. Good idea of yours  <3

All may not be lost, several years ago I too needed an open-toe clear plastic foot and my local shop didn't have one in stock, BUT, did have a standard clear plastic foot available. I bought one and with a pair of side cutting pliers cut away the bit of plastic that was obscuring the view. After removing the rough edges with an old metal nail file it's been helping me to see where I'm sewing for about 5 years now
Producing patchwork on the periphery of Preston

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 14:19:51 PM »
Thanks DoB. I've taken a deep breath and I'm fine now.
Imi suggested A4 landscape. Size would depend on how many there are but landscape makes sense to me if we're doing our area/region. I don't know if anyone else agrees. I am absolutely clueless about all of it so our directions will need to be in very simple terms for me.  :(

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 15:20:54 PM »
Thank God you've joined in the fray DOB!
Ah yes I forgot Brenda was at the wedding, I wonder if they like the Quilt ???

Yup ! we must do some serious thinking.

Then a drawn plan; including sizes, allocating areas to each person etc.
When finished this will be sent to everyone involved.

I think a selection of both orientations (more interesting) not A4 (tad too small), how about Daily Mail Weekend Magazine size ... 14" x 11" ... What do we think of that ????

and of course the pieced sashing strips to separate the appliques ... so choice of patterns and colours for those. Maybe those who want to PPP could propose some designs they would be happy to make. Think long thinninsh border or fat sashing strip.

Choice of theme, choice of binding and backing fabrics (the Forum will pay for backing and binding materials and send them to the necessary parties ... What does anybody else think about that ?)

I'd love to include the girls from other areas of TSP ... maybe they could depict their specialities ... dress makers dummy ??? dressmaking equipment ??? But do you think they would be willing to join in???

Some careful marketing ??? Who would like to pitch it to them ... DOB ???
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 15:25:16 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 15:26:55 PM »
Just to say that this sounds like a wonderful.idea and I'd love to join in although I am not a darksider.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 15:30:13 PM »
Your'e very welcome Tamney ... put your thinking cap on!

Are we getting any interest from The Abroadskis???

Deafoldbat

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 19:13:45 PM »
I think a selection of both orientations

Yes, provided the dimensions will fit together, eg height =twice width, otherwise we might have trouble putting them all together, though we could add blanks if needed (more work for someone). A4 is a touch small? But if we've got to assemble it into a coherent item we don't want the panels too big. Is there a maximum size for exhibits? We will need a deadline for completed panels to be sent to the (lucky) coordinator.

pieced sashing strips to separate the appliques

What do you mean?

I would suggest there is a common binding fabric, and wadding. Yes, purchased/distributed by the forum.

I'd love to include the girls from other areas of TSP ... maybe they could depict their specialities
In that case we should all do that. If P&Qers do 'pictures', and others don't it could look a bit odd.  A group quilt needs to look like a group, not random 'stuff'. Before we pitch it to anyone, we really need to know what we're doing. Perhaps we need to go into a huddle and rough out a plan to run past everyone and sort it all out before we do a grand announcement...

Syrinx

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 19:55:33 PM »
Lovely idea.

My 2p worth:
Group quilts are lovely and fun, but there are a couple of big things to avoid - really tricky designs - aim at the lower end of participants skill levels. Nothing worse than someone feeling unable to complete their part. Also whilst applique quilts are lovely, people do it in different ways and it can lk very mish mash unless it is done by a quilting group who meet regularly to keep styles similar.

I'd suggest a colour theme. So decide upon a brand of fabric and the colours so everyone knows what they've got (or sets of colours to choose between). Decide on a pattern pre making so that there are a selection of blocks to choose between of various difficulties. Then people can make whatever pieced/appliquéd block/section they like which can then be assembled later. So that way once everyone has picked their colours and blocks from the decided pattern you're good to go. Names and locations can go in sashing (essential! No one wants to stress about matching points!).

Whatever ends up being the plan I will happily join in.

wrenkins

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 21:11:43 PM »
Some good points there Syrinx. I had thought about the bittiness aspect. If someone does an industrial chimney or Lady Godiva and it's the same size as my Lough Erne or Carrickfergus Castle the scale will be all off. Colour coordinating might be a way to go.
I don't know about anyone else but my head's turned already!!!!!
A camel is a horse designed by commitee!!!! 0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 23:28:11 PM »

Ah yes I forgot Brenda was at the wedding, I wonder if they like the Quilt ???

Yes, I've been to a wedding in Warrington and haven't been online at all, other than using Maps on the iPad, for a couple of days.  See my "Lovely weekend" thread.

This sounds like a great project but it does need a lot of thought.

A group quilt needs to look like a group, not random 'stuff'.
Very definitely!

The 'quilt' is open to any member of TSP, not just the Dark Siders. The techniques can be any permitted by the FoQ rules - pieced, appliqued, embroidered, embellished etc, but it must have 3 layers and be quilted in some way.
Darksiders are simply those who choose to read and post in the dark side forums, but would someone who doesn't do any P&Q/quilting want to join in?

It makes sense for each panel to be a finished item in its own right.
It does, but that in itself introduces more problems!

I'd suggest a colour theme. So decide upon a brand of fabric and the colours so everyone knows what they've got (or sets of colours to choose between).
A colour theme maybe, but not a particular brand of fabric; use whatever is appropriate to each bit of the whole.

If someone does an industrial chimney or Lady Godiva and it's the same size as my Lough Erne or Carrickfergus Castle the scale will be all off.
Yes, I think that the theme needs to be a bit tighter than just representing the area in which we live.

Maybe castles, grand houses, prominent industrial buildings, or whatever from your locality.  Or a series of village churches?  Garden flowers?  Butterflies?
Costume/dresses through the ages?  Umbrellas/parasols?
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 00:54:38 AM »
Golly, what a lot to think about! Theme must be accessible to people of all levels of P&Q, we don't want anyone to feel excluded.
Has anyone ever taken part in such a project before?
Please make it a bit bigger than A4  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
When I suggested brand and colour it was so that people could go to local shop/online and see the colour that was meant - not necessarily everyone must buy it! It's a problem with colour names really - what is 'teal' or 'turquoise' or 'lavendar' when all the fabric designers use them for different things. So a reference brand/colour means you can compare and get the right lot of colours. Nothing woase than someone going for a reallu green 'jade' and everyone else has chosen a really blue 'jade'!

I've done one group quilt. It was designed by a friend (with input from the group regarding size, colours etc) that was a very simple background colour sashed grid with a variety of star blocks. It had levels of complexity in rings, so the outer stars were easy, and the closer to the middle the more complex the star. It looked rather nice from what I can remember (but we learned the hard way about not having a reference brand/colour!) and it wasn't huge. I'm not sure it ever got quilted though and I've no idea what happened to it. No pics either :(

I do remember that instead of doing sashing on all 4 sides, we each put a top and right sashing on the blocks, except for the outside blocks which had both sides sashed and the corners were sashed to complete. A border was added by the compiler to encompass all the colours.

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
Fabulous stuff. We have plenty of time to do this ... and to get things right.

I was thinking about this last night, especially about the theme of the quilt and I agree we must tighten it up.

I began to think on why I suggested doing this and came back to my thought, on looking at the group quilts at the FoQ this year, that it would be a really good way to promote the forum ...
I then got distracted by the fact we have so many members abroad ....
which led on to the stitch your area thing!

Glad that's been explained, not least to me!

A really early thought was having the name (and address) of the forum within the quilt ....

So scrapping the idea of stitching your area .... but not necessarily the idea of an embroidered flag in a corner or on the back of your portion of quilt (which will of course highlight the fact we have many members from abroad ... Ruuubyyyy???)

We should want to illustrate the various areas within the forum  .....  Vintage machines, garment making, P&Q, Cafe, thimbles, scissors, needle and thread, pins (great chance for embellishment there) and of course the in house jokes ... Ducks behind the sofa, Wet fish, Bunting ???  These are by nature Pictorial tho' ....

There has been some query whether this will be one entity or a set of completed works joined together by various mean. This was quite a thing at the festival and (I think) a good idea ... at the end of the show every one can have their own personal piece back rather being one big quilt.

The group quilts are towards the end of the album ... Details in the info box to the right of the pics.

https://goo.gl/photos/b7sgmdVzSEkaFeyx9
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:35:42 AM by Iminei »