The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018

rubywishes

Re: The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
 :o Double blimey! :o
1980 Janome (aka Joan...she's no nonsense or frills),  Bernina 710 (aka Bernice), Juki TL2010Q,  1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora).
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sewingsue

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »
Definitely Blimey,

but

it does show how a strong shape and a unified background colour can link very different centre sections.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sakar

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »
 0_0 what a great quilt!!!!! <3

Iminei

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
Ladies, I have an idea ... born out of TSP Bears competition.

FoQ is a quilting show, I know we are a general sewing forum, but it is the Dark Side that is interested in exhibiting at a quilting show, so we make it about patchwork.

The quality, beauty and originality of the quilts entered for that competition amazed me. You were all so brilliant at interpreting the brief ... Quilt for a Diminutive Ursus .... and having seen two of them in person I wondered why Sandra and StitchinTime had not already entered the mini quilt competition ... They were certainly good enough.

So I now find myself wondering whether this could be the theme for The Sewing Places Group quilt at FoQ next year ????

It would feature TSP bear and his lil bear in the centre (somehow? in a supported bed maybe with a different quilt each day over him ??? That would be cool!) with the groups entries surrounding him...

The mini quilts would all be bound with the same fabric for uniformity,  and would feature hanging tabs (in the same fabric) top and bottom so they could all be joined together. Meaning therefore that after the show you can have your very own TSP Bear's Quilt back....

But beyond the uniform binding and hanging tabs (Im thinking Black here but??) the quilts can be made however you wanted; your choice of design, technique, pattern, colour etc .

They would feature your TSP name on the back of your quilt, (maybe with the idea of an embroidered flag that was suggested before to show how widespread we are ... if we have peeps from abroadski joining in.)

They would be a certain size ?? or within a size range ??? (I quite like the idea of a square quilt next to an oblong, more interesting)

We would need a banner with The Sewing Places' name / address on, which could be simply encased within a row of blocks top and bottom, maybe for those who don't want to make a mini quilt.

And maybe, for those that do want to make a mini quilt, but are a bit wary of the binding (which is more difficult on smaller projects) someone who is more confidant/adept would finish their quilt off for them them with the binding and hanging tabs ????

(Sandra I'm looking at your beautifully neat binding here ... but if we do come across this scenario, Is there anyone who would like to take that job ??)

And the Ahhh factor, I believe, would be stratospheric which is not a bad thing at all!!!!

We could have a member of the forum by the quilt for some of the time each day, giving out information and details of TSP to prospective new members, maybe even selling TSP badges as I did this year......

Is this an idea worth discussing ?????

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
I have never made a mini quilt, but I do like trying new things! I missed all the chat about the TSP bear and just saw the mini quilt sent to you last week. I will try to find the chat. Might even try making a bear:I presume there are instructions somewhere. I am happy to join in whatever you decide.

Iminei

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »
You must Sheilago,

I remember your involvement in Sakar and Martins Wedding Present. Lovely work!

https://goo.gl/photos/88PT7MZHvJC2nLpt6

Sandra

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2017, 08:38:31 AM »
Have just spotted this latest post, Iminei.
I'm within my comfort zone on this, and thank you for your kind comment re: my binding.

Oh, yes! The Aaaaah...factor.  :)  0_0
It's just working out how to make it all gel together to look 'right'....to create the scene with the 3D figures amongst it...?
Bear needs to be there, with his bear.

I'm sure I remember a little bed with a quilt on it, displayed in the Miniature Quilts when I attended the FoQ, years ago...(No bear on it though!)

My dad made a splendid wooden four-poster bed for my daughter's doll, but it's the wrong scale for bear.

The sizes could be as we've done...to fit bears proportions....or thereabouts. The actual miniature quilt competition sizes are maximum 30cm on the longest side....which is about right for bear.
Oh, hang on a minute.....I've just found the old competition entry details. Under the Group Quilts section it says 'all 3D work should be entered into the Quilt Creations category'.

OK.....so now I'm imagining bear and bear in a little quilted, padded patchwork bed, (but not too jazzy. We don't want to detract from the quilts).....surrounded somehow? with all his quilts....?

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
Is sounds like a good doable idea provided it fits with the competition criteria.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
This sounds a very doable idea, but heck if a lot of work for someone who has to coordinate it all (that's sounds like you Iminei).

It allows lots of people to join in without too much outlay for fabric etc.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Iminei

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2017, 14:41:09 PM »
I would of course organise but I'd need some helpers, please ...

ie. if Flags were needed ... Bodgeit ???

or if binding needing doing for those a bit less confident, Sandra???

It must be a group effort, and a surround for the banner could be blocks in a certain colourway done by members not confidant with mini quilts  ...

I think this could be a goer Ladies, could we think further???

Tho' I am going to be mainly absent for a week or so ... ahem!!!  :\

Ellabella

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2017, 15:31:03 PM »
There will have to be a list of what individual peeps are doing, we need to ensure a wide range of quilt patterns.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2017, 16:18:29 PM »
Machine embroidery flags can be done I'm sure - or anything else machine embroidered?  Just a warning though that for the next few weeks I may struggle as we have so much yet to be done to the house, but flag thingies shouldn't take too long, so could be done at the last minute I hope?  When does it all have to be done for?

Sandra

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2017, 16:50:43 PM »
Yes to the binding! If I'm needed.

So...if we need to enter as a 'Quilt Creation', due to the 3D aspect with bear....

This is the type of sewable bed I was imagining bear could be sitting in....?

Something like that...maybe? A quilt on his bed, another draped off the foot of the bed. The other ones...? don't know how it could all be displayed.

Sandra.
xxx

Syrinx

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2017, 18:54:30 PM »
Sorry for long absence - broken thumb driving me mad. Trapunto Bear in the middle? ;)

Iminei

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2017, 19:13:47 PM »
FAB Girls,

Cant answer you all now as we are off to bed for our  early start ...
Bear with (Pun intended) and I'll be back next week!!

xxx