The Sewing Place

Tiny cover buttons

charlotte

Tiny cover buttons
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy 9mm (or smaller!) self cover buttons? The smallest I can find is 11mm and I really do want them that teeny tiny bit smaller!

wrenkins

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vegegrow

Re: Tiny cover buttons
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »
I have just read the listing and you seem to need a tool  to make them ..good price though
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 13:21:14 PM »
The tools are like this or this.    If you buy a tool you need to be sure it goes down to 9mm (neither of those go small enough).  You also need to allow for a few failures when you cover your own :o

I needed a lot of buttons covered a while ago (pleated curtain headings) and I had them professionally covered - they use proper clamps to align the moulds and backs so the results were good.
http://buttoncovering.co.uk/
Turnaround was only a few days, though obviously you have to order by post as you have to send her the fabric first.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 13:28:01 PM »
Thanks. I had avoided these due to not having the tool and not finding one that went small enough, but for £1.95 for 10 (I only need three!) I am going to purchase and see what I can invent from the tool box...

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 14:24:27 PM »
I had some very small ones in white plastic which I covered for a chiffon blouse.  Basically you gathered the circle so it pulled up inside the front cover and then pushed the little back in by hand.  I'll go and see if I still have the packet with the name.
Uh oh, I have two, Coats and Newey - both probably out of business now. Sorry.
 The packet shows someone using the end of an old cotton reel as a tool to push the back on. I wonder if it would work with the ones you are buying?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 14:43:28 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 15:27:32 PM »
When I had the waistcoat business (early '90's) I occasionally sent off buttons to be covered with the clients fabric if requested.

It was V cheap and gave good results. I still have a few tiddlers kicking around in my button box ... plus the kit for some too. No the kit buttons are over a cm. Sorry!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again