The Sewing Place

Another tutu question

Oakmaiden

Another tutu question
« on: September 04, 2017, 22:50:08 PM »
So, in an attempt to avoid the whole "how do I make my pleated layers stretchy" question, I am having a go at a structured, woven tutu, using a Tutus That Dance pattern.  It is going well so far - I am happy with the bodice, I have attached the top 2 layers of 27g pleated net, and I am just waiting for Heathcoats to send my order of 50g net for the next layers. (I ordered a week ago, and am getting a bit impatient)

Anyway - reading ahead in the instructions I am told to attach elastic stays AND stitch the bodice firmly to the basque.

I don't quite understand.  Doesn't the fact the bodice and basque are stitched together make the elastic stays completely useless?  the instructions say the stays hold the bodice in place, stop the two parts of the tutu from separating, and provide give when the dancer stretches.  But surely if the bodice is stitched on the it will stay in place, and won't have any give?

Am I missing something?  Anyone?

Thecostumelady

Re: Another tutu question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:26:52 AM »
As far as I remember, the bodice is stitched to the basque around the back and part way around the front.  The centre front portion is left unattached apart from the elastic stays.  This allows the dancer to pull up and lean backwards without the front of the skirt being lifted.  So, the bodice moves with the dancer and doesn't pull down at the front, while the skirt stays level.  The stays just prevent the bodice from moving too far up and creating a gap between skirt and bodice.  Ann x

Oakmaiden

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:10:27 AM »
Right - and now you have explained, going back and reading the instructions for the 723rd time, I can see that is what it says.  I clearly got very confused.

Thank you for clarifying that for me!

Thecostumelady

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 16:14:21 PM »
Pleasure! :D  Isn't that what we are all here for? Ann x

Oakmaiden

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 22:32:03 PM »
I am still waiting for my tutu net, and getting quite cross with Heathcoats inability to answer their phone, return my answer phone messages OR send me my net.

And in the meantime I have this, waiting for another 8 layers...

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 20:02:56 PM »
Hi Oakmaiden, have you received your net yet? Many people I know are having issues with Heathcoats. I have used the 27g Italian net for a blue tutu that I have just finished and it's looking lovely but only time will tell regarding durability. It is so much nicer to sew too!
Was Sewnanny

Yellowfeather

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 20:31:16 PM »
Yes, i would be interested too!!  i need to order a bolt, but last time I ordered it was a real pain.  I ordered some turquoise net from tutu neto and it came the next day, it is lovely, but expensive.

Oakmaiden

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »
Sorry - I have been offline for a bit.  I eventually phoned them, and once I had discovered a phone number they actually answer I spoke to someone who said they had been out of stock and were now back in stock.  My net was posted the next day.

I wonder how long I would have waited if I had not spoken to that person though...

Yellowfeather

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 18:46:40 PM »
got my order quickly enough, but a bit miffed as it is on a roll, not folded on a board.  it makes cutting a real pain, or i will have to fold and board it myself!! :'( :'(

Daisy Jane

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
Hi Oakmaiden, the tutu bodice unsewn at the bottom is a floating bodice. The grey tutu in my profile picture is one. I don't stitch the bottom of my bodice if it's for a senior dancer who has a lot of backbends in her solo. This enables the bodice to move with her and not show any flesh at the midriff or pull down low at the top and embarrass her, as the elastic gives room for movement.  If its a younger dancer then I normally stitch all the way round.
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

Lollipop

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 13:54:45 PM »
I agree with you DaisyJane. I stitch all the way round for most dancers. Sometimes its the dance teacher that determines whether the point is left unstitched as that is their personal preference.
Was Sewnanny

Oakmaiden

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 22:03:18 PM »
Oooh - that's interesting!  Thanks!