The Sewing Place

I skinned a quilt.

rubywishes

I skinned a quilt.
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
(1) hunt and catch your quilt.........."what the dickens is this under my sewing table. Oh yeah, I did that months ago and
                                                       hated it."

(2) After capture and rendering lifeless, examine the pelt........"Lordy that is some ugly quilting and basting"

(3) Spread your lifeless prey on the floor and grab a really sharp blade......"Where's that old scalpel of mine..insert
      rummaging noises at this point.....aha, triumphant and...ouch!...pass me the bandaids please :("

(4) Kneel on the floor and gently prise a corner of pelt free by carefully slicing under the pelt and through threads by working from underneath the skin, seperating the 3 layers as you go/slice ......"Geez, how many blooming stitches did I put in this thing? :("

(5) Continue gently separating the outer skin from inner innards making sure not to pierce the pelt....."Do I really want to do this, it's like performing a muscle dissection."

(6) Work quickly and deftly...........DON'T! "

(7) Repeat (4) and (5) for the next 4 hours swapping from floor, to table, to floor, to kitchen bench....to scotch cupboard...repeat....

(8) Do not be startled by anyone, remember you're holding a scalpel..... "Oh my is that the time? Surely Mr.Ruby you
                                                              don't want any dinner tonight?
                                                              Me? well yes I did think it would be nice to stay in my Pjs' all day.....are you
                                                              SURE it's tea time already...where has the day gone?????

(9) Finally, after rubbing feeling back into your hands and knees admire your skinned beast, yep, no holes in the pelt, yep innards intact and look serviceable, yep mega headache present and booming, yep scotch bottle almost empty, yep heading for the headache and muscle ache meds and the heat bags right now!

(10) Write a strong note to yourself and sticky tape it to your sewing machine....
             "DONOT ever contemplate skinning a quilt again...ever!"

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:38:21 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sewingsue

Re: I skinned a quilt.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »
 :*
  :gin:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
Not an activity for the faint hearted Rubes - well done for accomplishing it!  Do you need a licence for this sort of activity?  ;)

What are you intending to make with the pelt?

Will you have people with placards protesting?

Hope to see the result!!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:57:38 AM »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »

(7) Repeat (4) and (5) for the next 4 hours swapping from floor, to table, to floor, to kitchen bench....to scotch cupboard...repeat....

Only 4 hours!  It would have taken me a lot longer than that.

The  :gin: might have helped though. ;)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:48:52 AM »
Why yes, Jessie as a matter of fact I do have a license for this activity; it's hard earned over many dedicated years and not for the feint hearted to try.  You have to exhibit an ongoing leaning towards illogical thinking, and spur-of-the-moment decision making with no clear understanding of what you are getting into. :)
And no, no placard waving protestors...I did it all behind closed drapes  :)
And what am I going to do with it? Well call me a glutton for punishment but I thought I would make this my practice quilt for quilting large spirals with the walking foot.

Oh Vegegrow, I loved Fess Parker when I was little; thanks for the time warp moment!

And then Brenda there was the 3 hours this afternoon re-basting the wretched thing! Hmmmmm, I think there's been some stretch happening with some of the pieces in the top so I don't think this quilt is destined for greatness once I try a second quilting! :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:53:05 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
I have a quilt that needs to be redone.

One of my very first efforts with very little quilting (I dont even think I had a WF then)  but I love it.

It lives on the back of my chair in the dining room (where I basically live) so I see and use it all the time and the reason it need redoing ???

Well for months I had been thinking I should add some more quilting to this and then .. the cat was sick on it !

So what did I do?? Instead of wiping the sick off and waiting for it to dry and quilt it further, I threw it into the wash, scantly quilted as it was, and it came out all ... wrong!

I did think of unpicking, there isnt that much quilting to unpick as it was such an early one, but I also hadn't started setting my stitch length to 4.5 when I quilted (in order to show the stitches) so the stitches are teeny ... I dont think I can face it!

Ruby ??? How long would you say parcels take from the UK to yours ???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:21:45 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
  :o Ducks behind the sofa, quack!

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »
Well done Rubes  :gin:
Triumph of hope over experience :D