The Sewing Place

Shortening Vogue 9112

Bodgeitandscarper

Shortening Vogue 9112
« on: September 10, 2017, 22:02:50 PM »
Having made my first one of these dresses, I would love to make shorter versions to wear as tunic tops.  Where would you all shorten it, given all those seams and shaping??

Linky to pattern - https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9112

I'm off for a short holibobs for a few days, so time to think about this one - but I do have a few lengths of fabric ready...  0_0

Efemera

Re: Shortening Vogue 9112
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 22:34:52 PM »
I'd place all the pieces together, front and back, draw a line between  the waist and the hip and shorten there

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 22:39:40 PM »
I agree, somewhere between waist and hip, but you won't be able to make it a great deal shorter without messing it all up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:09:55 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 07:27:01 AM »
I love this dress and have made two. In both cases I lengthened it just by adding the extra length to each of the bottom pieces. You might be able to lose a couple of inches off the bottom, but no more, and the rest from somewhere around the waist or somewhere in the middle. You would need to reposition the pockets.I agree with Brenda that it probably won't take an awful lot of shortening. Check Marcy's blog to see if she's ever made a shorter version.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
My thoughts were also between waist and hips, and maybe and inch or two off the bottom.  I will lose the left hand pocket, but the right one can be moved easily.  Thanks peeps  :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »
Be sure to show us the result. Might have a go at a shorter version myself.
BTW I added sleeves to my two versions - very easy.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 16:00:05 PM »
So far I've shorten an inch at the armholes - they were cut far too low and showed my bra - and 1.5 inches just below the waist.  I couldn't do any more as it made the slanted seams just too far out of sync.  I've also cut a size smaller, which makes it another half inch shorter. I'm going to make it up and then see how much I can lose off the bottom I think, hopefully another couple of inches, and maybe reposition the panel right at the bottom of the back, or even just do away with it, although that will lose some of the "cocoon" shape.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 18:33:18 PM »
That should make it a good bit shorter. Be sure to show us the results! It's a nice pattern and quite versatile.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 20:38:42 PM »
Pah!  Unpicking already - forgot to lower the pocket, put it in too high up!  Back to it tomorrow.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 15:56:28 PM »
One of those days I think - I wondered why the collar didn't seem to fit the neck then realised I'd cut it a size too big, so had to unpick the edges and cut it down and re-sew, then I sewed the bias binding in the neck so it folded the wrong way, had to unpick it and re-sew that.  However it is all finished and even pressed, and in fact I'm sitting here wearing it as I love it so much  <3  0_0 
I'm still hoping the fabric will soften up a little, it's a very dark blue stretch denim with a sort of hole-y pattern.
So, 1" off at the middle of the armholes level, 1.5" at the hips and another 1.5" just chopped off the bottom before I hemmed it.  Next time, I'll cut the front of the armholes slightly wider as they go across my arms a little, and I'd like to try a slightly narrower neck opening too.

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 17:33:28 PM »
That looks lovely...

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 17:51:17 PM »
Fantastic! You've done a really good job.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 17:58:27 PM »
Be sure to show us the result. Might have a go at a shorter version myself.
BTW I added sleeves to my two versions - very easy.

I have just bought this pattern and wondered about putting in a short sleeve, would love to see pics of how it looks with your sleeves.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 20:20:59 PM »
I'll see if I can do a photo tomorrow. I just pinched a plain sleeve from another pattern- can't remember which. It just had to have the same measurement as the armscye. I did long sleeves though short sleeves would be fine too.

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 14:49:20 PM »
Here's a photo of my version with sleeves. I lengthened it by about six inches so it hits a couple of inches below the knee. 'Scuse the clutter!

There's also what looks like a sleeved version on Marcy Tilton's blog for Feb 26 2016 I think it was.