The Sewing Place

Feathereight help needed please!

b15erk

Feathereight help needed please!
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
I took my FW home at the weekend, and plugged it in for the first time.  I forgot that the switch was on and the machine ran for a few seconds, and then jammed.  I knew it would be a thread jam, and had a look, but there is still a tiny bit of lint trapped in there.

My difficulty is, that when I stripped her down originally, I was unable to totally dismantle the bobbin mechanism. Now this looks very easy when I've looked online, but I can't get it to budge.  It needs doing, because I don't think it would have stalled with a single thread in there, I think it more likely, that there is a build-up, which needs attending to.

But how to access it when it appears solidly in place....?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

Re: Feathereight help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
Ask on here... the fixer guy is really good.
https://www.facebook.com/singerfeatherweight/?fref=ts

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
Thank you Ef!!  Just what I need!  I'll have a good look now.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Barnyard

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 20:11:27 PM »
There are a few places that thread jams are typically a place of annoyance and the difficult ones do require a bit of a stripdown. If you can remove the baseplate, bobbin plate and feed dog plate you will more than likely see remenants of the thread. Thread in front of the counterbalance on the drive shaft is easy to spot and will cause tightening and if the thread has also wrapped around the the underneath of the hook assembly then it does require a stripdown. If you post a picture of these areas it would help me, help you get it sorted. There is one part of your post that I cannot figure out though. " The switch was on" The machine should never run on it's own. I suspect a capacitor failure in one of 3 places if this is indeed the case of the machine running without input from the foot control. Motor, Pedal and Machine capacitors can and do fail.

Barny

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 21:16:12 PM »
Thank you BY, i'll try to get some pics in the morning.

The fault was mine re the machine running, I plugged in and with the power on, i leaned on the foot pedal which was lying on the table......

I've actually managed to free the Gib hook? But I now can't get the middle bit out.... I can see a little thread behind it, and must assume there is more which is probably stopping it coming out.

Such a little thing, but so much stress!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 13:01:20 PM »
I think I may be in love.....

I brought the FW into work this morning, sat it on the desk, put a few FW videos on, and fixed her!!

Not only did I sort the bobbin area out - it was filthy, the tiny holes were clogged and there was thread.....  cleaned, oiled and re-assembled and everything went together beautifully.

But, the tension still wasn't right.  I've done this before though, with the 99k, and the 201k.  It may need readjusting later, but the difference in the stitch quality, is just amazing.

I've sewn on leather too, and that went without a hitch.

I can safely say, that my little FW, will now be used often!

Thank you both for your help, it gave me the courage to try to fix it myself!  :)

Jessie