The Sewing Place

Bad Sewing Days

Sewingsue

Re: Bad Sewing Days
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
Deeply frustrating when you have to start a sewing session with some reverse sewing, but I suppose not as frustrating as spotting the mistake much later.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »
For various reasons I have had 10 days off sewing, finishing up with a clear out and tidy up.  I had kept the floor clean but any flat surface looked like hell and I could never find anything.

So yesterday (Monday afternoon is a sewing day) I started.  I was doing two French seams on a jacket, which were offside.  Finished and went to put the first part of the yoke on the back (seems to have a funny way of putting together  so I just  followed).  Got ready to put the second on and thought to myself, that looks wrong.  There is a full length pleat in the back and I had seen on one review that it was the  wrong way round, and so was mine, it should have been on the inside not on the outside, which meant my two French seams were wrong.   

I did not swear, despite a completely wasted afternoon being careful. I got the ripper out and took both seams out completely, ready to press and start again.  I did call myself an idiot a few times though.

In the tidy up I have lost my marker pen, very easy to see, long red body.   So last night I ordered another, which means it will turn up again shortly.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Some of the worst days are when the sewing is going well, but you know something isn't quite right.  You carry on hoping that all will be well in the end, and then you try it on.  And you were right all along, something wasn't quite right.

In the case of my last blouse, the pattern says to interface the hem, which I did.  Finished blouse looks like a bell tent!  :'(

Thank goodness for the unpicker.  ><

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 17:56:42 PM »
Thanks for the commiserations! Although the sun shone in Devon, it wasn't quite warm enough to wear THAT top (that's how I shall always think of it!). Oh how I enjoyed the cream teas though - so much so that I have brought a large pot of clotted cream home with me.