The Sewing Place

Knit fabric in UK

Sewbee

Knit fabric in UK
« on: September 13, 2017, 18:47:11 PM »
America has tons of knit fabric in the stores but normally decent stuff is bought online at places recommended by other online sewers. I don't see much knit fabrics in the UK? It's more cottons and tweed and wools. Where can you buy decent knit fabric in the UK? (Or is it not the trend to sew as many knits here?)

Acorn

Re: Knit fabric in UK
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 18:52:22 PM »
I find this frustrating too - even more so because I really want cotton and there is very, very little of it anywhere, especially with nice patterns that aren't aimed at children!

myfabrics.co.uk is better than most.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 19:19:47 PM »
Thank you very much.  I'm still getting used to being back home and I was beginning to get downheartened  by what I found.  It's nice to know there are some alternative answers .

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 19:22:45 PM »
Look for Art Gallery knits, they're expensive but lovely quality and very nice prints. Minerva Crafts sell them

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 19:27:48 PM »
They look really nice. I don't mind expensive. I'd rather make one nice thing out of good fabric than three out of cheap! I bought an expensive (to me) sewing machine this week - Bernina 570qe - and there's no point IMHO in buying a decent machine unless you use decent fabric.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 19:31:42 PM »
This

is my favourite Art Gallery knit and I also love

Just as well I only sewed wovens.  0_0

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 19:54:10 PM »
I like them a lot and they are the perfect blend of cotton and Spandex - 95/5!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 20:01:55 PM »
I just noticed Maud's Fabric Finds in my bookmarks - I found them a few days ago and haven't tried them out yet, but there's quite a good variety of knits there.

Edited to add that most (all?) of it is priced per half metre, which really annoys me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 20:32:35 PM by Acorn »

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 20:08:55 PM »
I just noticed [i=https://www.mauds-fabric-finds.com]Maud's Fabric Finds[/i] in my bookmarks - I found them a few days ago and haven't tried them out yet, but there's quite a good variety of knits there.

Edited to add that most (all?) of it is priced per half metre, which really annoys me.

Thanks again. About to browse that site now. They look really nice.

https://www.mauds-fabric-finds.com

Fiona M

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 21:39:03 PM »
Myfabrics.co.uk is actually a German company, despite the uk web address.  It matters not to me, they are extremely reliable, but I know some prefer not to buy from abroad.
There is also a Dutch company called jerseyfashion.nl which I have used a few times for their stretch sweat-shirting and children's novelty printed jersey fabrics.
I worry about the effect Brexit will have on being able to buy fabrics from these European suppliers. I suppose we will have to pay import duties and VAT post Brexit, which will increase the costs significantly.

classical retro

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 16:30:14 PM »
Fabworks has a huge range of jersey fabrics.
https://www.fabworks.co.uk/collections/jersey-1

CR :angel:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 17:27:54 PM »
There's also Girl Charlee, although not cheap on my scale of cheapness.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 17:43:46 PM »
The Textile Centre has a lot of knit/jersey fabrics.  A lot of it is polyester and blends, but good prices and prompt delivery.

Remember to use the discount code at the checkout.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 19:18:11 PM »
The Textile Centre has a lot of knit/jersey fabrics.

I have this bought from a bricks and mortar shop.  I had no idea it was 100% and will do a burn test later.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 20:22:03 PM »
Please let us know what the result is - I'm very tempted by that but only if it is mostly or all cotton.   :)