The Sewing Place

Knit fabric in UK

UttaRetch

Re: Knit fabric in UK
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 21:17:31 PM »
It seems that I no longer have it.  Must have gone in the fabric cull. Come to think of it, the print might have been the same but of an entirely different composition.  :|

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 22:23:45 PM »
I have had several pieces from this Ebay seller:

eBay Shop:rosebud_wine

They tend to be one-off pieces of a specific length, mostly from Italy. Every piece I've had has been good.

Hachi

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
This is what I think about knit fabric shopping in UK via online shop compared to US:

1. Selection is much smaller at each shop.
2. Polyester dominated - because the shops carry small selection, they carry very little non-poly knits.
3. Often all knits categorized under "jersey" so difficult to find other types of knits such as ponte/double knit etc.
4. Fabric content is listed very minimally - I wish all the shops list the fabric contents more (such as % of poly, instead of just say poly/cotton)
5. Rarely list the amount of stretch.
5. More athletic/technical knits are very hard to find.

Having said that, I just got my order of 5 knits delivered 2 days ago from Sherwoods Fabrics. I got 2 kinds of cotton ponte, one silk jersey, and 2 rayon/Lycra. I am very happy with the fabric I got, except for 1 ponte that is very scratchy on the wrong side. I like that they wrapped the fabric with their wrapping paper and thew Skittles in it. It was like opening a Christmas present.

Efemera

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
I've just had a delivery from Sherwoods..it's OK but not what I expected.

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »
One type of knit fabric seriously lacking in UK online stores is sweater knits which I believe are far more readily available in the USA.  The only ones I have seen were very garish patterns which I didn't like.
Life's too short for ironing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 18:51:03 PM »
I ordered some samples from My Fabrics 2 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived, although i have had confirmation they have been posted. If you do use this site you need to be patient and not in a hurry to get the fabric. (Or is it just me?)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 19:25:09 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 19:12:27 PM »
I ordered some samples from My Fabrics 3 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived, although i have had confirmation they have been posted. If you do use this site you need to be patient and not in a hurry to get the fabric. (Or is it just me?)
I've always had stuff within a few days from them, despite it coming from Germany.

Pinkstar

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 21:27:54 PM »
I've never bought anything from them but https://funkifabrics.com/ seem to have a good range of technical and athletic lycra.

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 21:42:59 PM »
My orders from myfabrics.co.uk have usually taken exactly a week, although the last one took 6 days because they used DSL all the way rather than switching to the Post Office once it arrived in the UK.

Are they waiting for stock of any of the samples?  If not I would enquire if I were you.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

fajita

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 22:40:24 PM »
I've ordered from them before, very speedy delivery. 3 weeks seems too long, unless the German shops do an August summer holiday shutdown?

Roger

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »
http://organiccotton.biz/store/index.php?route=common/home

These guys have cotton/bamboo jersey in neutral tones.

I haven't bought from them but want to when I have some of my projects done!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »
Oooh - there's some lovely stuff in there Roger.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
Yeah, i really want to get some stuff from them but my stash is larger than my time at the moment...

But cotton bamboo mixes are fantastic for comfy t-shirts and yoga wear... I have to work out the overlocker. Something else on my list ;)

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 11:14:58 AM »
I like the concept of stash being bigger than your time... along the lines of eyes being bigger than your tummy. I suffer from both afflictions.  :S
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Starryfish

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »
One type of knit fabric seriously lacking in UK online stores is sweater knits which I believe are far more readily available in the USA.  The only ones I have seen were very garish patterns which I didn't like.

I stalk ebay regularly searching for sweater knit and wool jersey. When I see something that looks promising I buy it, mostly this works out. I have a woolly border knit that will become a dress for winter and a long length of bright pink wool jersey that will be a Style Arc Brooklyn sweater, and may be a cardigan if there is enough.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.