The Sewing Place

Trouser alterations after weight loss.

b15erk

Trouser alterations after weight loss.
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:52:01 AM »
I would normally make new, but I have three pairs of trousers which I've made over the 'summer?', one pair I haven't even worn, and I think I should have a go at altering them.

Anyone done this?  How did you go about it?  Does each pair need altering separately?

Should I print off another copy of the pattern in a smaller size? (StyleArc Barb, so not too complicated).

OH is commenting on my baggy bum, so I must do something about it :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

Re: Trouser alterations after weight loss.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:06:12 AM »
I would have a go at altering them, Jessie.  You'll need to take off the waistband and then refit.  It sounds like you will (enviably) need to take some in off the back crotch curve, and if you need to for the waist, take it in on all seams evenly.

Maximum

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
Good for you with the weight loss. I have done this alteration for my daughter and managed to keep the waistband on at the front. The trousers were RTW and I couldn't be sure how the band and fly had been joined.
I unpicked from the back to just in front of the side seams. I adjusted the seams to fit and took most in at the back. To get the waistband to fit again I cut and joined it centre back (lots of men's trousers have a joined waistband).
If you alter the crotch curve do it in small stages as it seems to go from baggy to far too tight very quickly. You can reduce a little back leg bagginess by increasing the inseam from the back leg only.
If you toile a smaller pattern size you could use that to alter the pair you haven't worn, but it would mean unpicking all the pieces first and re-cutting.
Maybe try adjusting the pair you like least and see how it goes?!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 13:04:34 PM »
Thank you ladies!  I've spent the morning unpicking trousers.  Rotten job, but should mean that at the end of it, I get a couple of pairs of wearable trousers.

I've done all my measurements, so first job, is to lower the waist, followed by the swayback adjustment.  Leg styling will follow, and the waistband alteration last.  I'm doing this on the 'snug' side, as I'm hoping to lose a little more weight.

Fingers crossed, I'm going in!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Maximum

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 14:08:45 PM »
I like the forward thinking and positive approach to further weight loss :D. Do make sure you can sit down comfortably in them though (it's very tedious standing up cos your trousers won't let you sit  :S - wonder how I know?)