The Sewing Place

German singer, what is it?

Roger

German singer, what is it?
« on: September 16, 2017, 23:19:39 PM »
I'm not sure what this machine is:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192303242526

Arrow you might like this one and it seems quite reasonable. And quirky, might be a 216, but doesn't seem quite right.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

Re: German singer, what is it?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 23:49:45 PM »
Oh, I like it. I don't think it's 216 because of the stich length lever and it's not quite the same. It looks very close to a 306, and I think the very first Singer zigzaggers were developed in Germany for some reason and I suspect it might be one of those. From the decor on the face plate it looks pre 1950, but from Singer Sewing Info site, the were no factory in Karlsruhe until 1954 when they took over a Haid und Neu Factory. It has to be related to the 306 and might be a develpment of a German 1930s model? It needs further investigation. I have no info on the earliest US or UK developed zigzaggers. The grey case looks like it might not be original, I'm not sure but I'm guessing 1950s. The grey color is typal Pfaff in those years, but I have never seen the concrete grey Pfaffs in nice wooden bases.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 00:29:23 AM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 19:24:33 PM »
Apparently the C in the S/N points to Wittenberg as the factory of origin, and that ran from 1908-1945 when the Russians invaded Germany and looted all the machinery. So it might be a 30s model?

But no idea what, doesn't seem to appear on any of the US/UK sites.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 20:25:05 PM »
Very interesting. I have noticed more than one model Singer exlusive to German factories and developers. I have traced the first domestic zigzagger to be a Mundlos-Victoria introduced in 1920s. It was a few years before Pfaff, Singer, Bernina and other made theirs. There might be others who beat Mundlos to it, but not by much, so far I haven't found a trace of any.

On the industrial side of things, zigzaggers, overlockers, multi needle machines, setups with puncture cards / bands were in  plenty decades earlier than the domestic version, and it's a bit hard to name an absolute first in the scheme of things.

Singer must have bought up one factory after the other over the years; they bought up Wheeler & Wilson, and produced their No 9 under the Singer name for a few years. Rumor has it that it was too much of a competition to model 66 at the time. Now every sewing company seems to have been bought and sold by Janome at some point.

Roger

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 22:52:17 PM »
The merging and buying of sewing machine companies is a complex history!

It's also worth keeping an eye out for Italian origin singers. Again they have unique models and they have a little more design flair than uk or German models.