The Sewing Place

Need more help ... Spanish this time!

Heikedog

Need more help ... Spanish this time!
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »
Our children's company serves a low-income area as part of its outreach program.  In an effort to include as many children as possible in the Nutcracker, we want to have a bunch of little girls from the outreach area as "background dancers" for Spanish.  We have a lot of plain black little costumes sort of like this one, but ours have a little more net in the skirts so they're more full.  Any ideas how to re-purpose them very inexpensively to give them a Spanish flavor?  The primary dancer (a pre-professional teen girl) will wear a typical red Kitri-style Spanish dress.

http://www.pinkprincess.com/cpzn9814c-bk.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=CPZN9814C-BK-S&utm_campaign=1.1%20Shopping%20(B-New)&utm_content=Organized%20(Desktop)

Thanks!

Thecostumelady

Re: Need more help ... Spanish this time!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 13:57:27 PM »
How about just a red flower at the front hipline and a red lace 'mantilla' with another red flower in the hair? Simple and cheap!  Ann x

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 17:40:12 PM »
Little bit of red fringe across the front.  Or red frill round the neckline and over the straps. Red flower somewhere and a Spanish  comb in the hair.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Heikedog

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 19:22:38 PM »
Thanks!  There are six little girls in this group so far and we could make quite a few more "Spanish" with these low cost ideas!

serifloss

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:54 AM »
Derpending on budget, and costume helpers- maybe a 'apron style' plate of net plain or sparkly, that has a cut out scooped up on the side (rather than in the front middle). Easily tacked on top of existing skirt and red/black or even white flower at the centre of the scoop. matching flower in hair. How little are they and how much hair? Maybe a little kiss curl coming onto the forehead as well?

Heikedog

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
They're 5-7 years old with ... uhhh ... average amounts of hair.

I'm having a hard time envisioning what you mean by "apron style."  Could you elaborate, serifloss?

serifloss

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:08 AM »
Sorry i've been away and haven't checked in to the forum. I have noticed that different costume companies descibe plate shapes differently. What I know as Apron style is like a full circle of the fabric plate on top of the tutu skirt but there is a curved cut out at the front. Spanish style plates tend to take that and have the cut out on the side. I'll try to link some pics. The blue plate is what I know as apron style, and the red is obviously spanish ;)

Heikedog

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 20:52:16 PM »
Thanks!