The Sewing Place

Charity shop find. Brother "Wesminster" Made for Curry's

Barnyard

Re: Charity shop find. Brother "Wesminster" Made for Curry's
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 21:32:52 PM »
What had gone on the mobo? Was it the usual capacitor??
Edit : duh.. I speed read/wrote... sorry...
had the capacitor taken everything else out with it? or was it a power surge blew everything kind of thing??

The capacitor in itself does nothing, it is just there as a supressor. The problem with the mainboard was track seperation and dry joints. Mainboard seperation means the copper tracks between the various transducers, gates and resistors has delaminated. How can I explain it???
Ok, it's like you have a ham salad sandwich with mayo. The the ham and the salad are are on the bottom slice of your favoured bread the mayo is on the top. The sandwich is delaminated which means you cannot put them together to form the sandwich as a whole and thus have 2 halves instead of one whole. No matter how you try to assemble the top to bottom parts they simply will not sit together and will always have a degree of seperation.

I need to get out more, really I do!

Barny

Madame Cholet

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 21:51:46 PM »
Thank you that's really interesting, my brain just loves to soak up all of this information  :)

My 930 Record is my favourite machine to sew on, but I must admit I am so suspicious of the post 800 series machines, because the inclusion of the electronics opens the door to all kinds of potential problems that didn't exist with the earlier, non-electronic ones.

Have you ever swapped out a nylon camstack gear in a Bernina? They have a habit of splitting don't they? I think the one in my 840 has already been replaced at some point because the screws heads in that area are really badly chewed up. 

Barnyard

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 21:41:35 PM »
Just a quick update and a video. My eldest will be the new owner of this machine and she shall be picking it up on Sunday. New threads, needles and materials for her school project all sorted. I posted a video on YouTube for her explaining a few things about the machine and it is here for your viewing pleasure. Yup I cocked up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SztLAYz-gNU&t=45s