The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place 1st Mystery Quilt

Ploshkin

Re: The Sewing Place 1st Mystery Quilt
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
I'm afraid mine's not even got itself collated yet but it's on the list.
Life's too short for ironing.

Pearl

« Reply #391 on: September 07, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
Mine too.  I have been doing a BOM class and should have done 10 blocks; I've only done 6.  After the last class, I decided to put away the mystery quilt and concentrate on my class quilt. 

I've been doing TSP BOM and TSP Bear's quilt instead.  :| :S   ;)

Lowena

« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2017, 13:52:20 PM »
Ah, I just wondered if I'd missed anything  :| Thank you girls  :)
 :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #393 on: November 15, 2017, 19:49:42 PM »
Right, here we go. I've finally finished the top, I'm putting a photo up now because if history is anything to go by it will be at least two years before the whole quilt is assembled. I did a quilt top over two years ago and it's still in the box!!!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ploshkin

« Reply #394 on: November 15, 2017, 20:13:20 PM »
Maliw, that is so pretty, don't let it languish in a box for 2 years.
I've got as far as getting the batting and backing fabric, just need an uninterrupted session for basting.

Pearl

« Reply #395 on: November 15, 2017, 20:29:40 PM »
So pretty, Mali.  Your fabrics play together in such an interesting way.    :loveit:

fajita

« Reply #396 on: November 15, 2017, 21:07:27 PM »
So lovely. Definitely worth finishing.

Lowena

« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
That's gorgeous Mali  <3 but you are a naughty girl to let things languish...... get it finished asap it's too nice not to

maliw

« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
Thank you for your lovely comments ladies. I've actually got the batting and backing fabrics for both quilts but other things keep getting in the way - like family, TSP and BOM etc etc ;)

Ploshkin

« Reply #399 on: December 14, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
It's finished!
This was intended as a lap quilt for my MIL but sadly she died just as I was getting it finished.  The strawberry feature fabric was chosen with her in mind as her family were soft fruit growers in Perthshire and she and FIL had a market garden in Bedfordshire where they grew strawberries.  It has become my 'back of the sofa' quilt.

The backing fabric is a bit at odds but it is blue, red, and white.  I was going to do a bi-coloured border as I didn't think the backing fabric and strawberry fabric went together but after resolving the trials and tribulations I had with the flippin' great white information strip on the backing fabric I really couldn't be bothered fiddling with that.  It was always intended to have a narrow, green border - about an inch wide but to solve the backing problem it has ended up at just 1/4".  Now, before anyone reminds me, I know I had resolved to do some FMQ on the border but as there wasn't room for so much as a gnat I'm sure you'll understand why I haven't.

I did diagonal quilting again.  I like diagonal quilting, I don't seen to get any puckers when lines cross (or perhaps I'm just getting a bit better at making up the sandwich.  I started by quilting through the strawberry cross and the red diamond.  I echoed the diamond in towards the centre of the quilt then echoed the outside triangles with a closer spacing.  I was able to eyeball the line from corner to corner so didn't need to mark the quilt top apart from a very few chalk marks where there wasn't a corner to aim for.

I haven't felt a great love for this one along the way, probably because it wouldn't have necessarily been my choice of fabrics for myself, but once it was sandwiched and I started quilting it grew on me and I'm quite happy to have it adorning the sofa (which happens to be navy). 

Pearl

« Reply #400 on: December 14, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
Lovely quilt, Plosh.  I love how the colour choices make these so different. Glad that you're happy with it.  (Thoughts with you and Mr Plosh.)  No room for FMQ?  Result!

Look out for my finished quilt in 2018 (or 2019!).

Lowena

« Reply #401 on: December 14, 2017, 13:38:58 PM »
It's really lovely Ploshy  <3 Love the colours  :)

maliw

« Reply #402 on: December 14, 2017, 16:04:23 PM »
Well done, a lovely quilt. Sorry about MIL, it will always be a bit if a reminder. Mine top is folded up with another one waiting to be sandwiched etc.

Acorn

« Reply #403 on: December 14, 2017, 16:56:46 PM »
That's lovely.  0_0  I think the diagonal quilting works very well with that design.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

supergran

« Reply #404 on: December 14, 2017, 19:01:06 PM »
Mine's next on my list to be finished now that the SAS is out of the way. I just bought some lovely bright Kaffe Fasset backing fabric for it today. Looking forward to seeing it finally done. I hate it when they hang around too long, I go off them!