The Sewing Place

Butterick B6491 as a waterproof(ish) coat

Bodgeitandscarper

Butterick B6491 as a waterproof(ish) coat
« on: September 20, 2017, 20:10:35 PM »
Used this fabric in navy https://ukfabricsonline.com/high-quality-softshell to make this pattern up.  I'm reasonably pleased with the result, it'll be great for dog walking and it's very light and hopefully not warm - I get so hot! 
I tried sewing with a microtex needle to start with, but it wasn't having it, so tried a universal and it work reasonably well although there was the occasional skipped stitch.  There were lots of skipped stitches on single thicknesses eg stay stitching the neck edge.
I don't know why it seems to be "dragging" down at the front from the poppers (kam snaps, another thing I've discovered recently!), but maybe that'll disappear with wearing.
(Note to self, for heaven's sake, stand up straight and shoulders back for photos!!)

Acorn

Re: Butterick B6491 as a waterproof(ish) coat
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 20:42:30 PM »
Very nice.   :)

I had problems with using a microtex needle on my fleece-lined softshell.  Lots of skipped stitches even though my machine was trying to make the tiniest stitches known to mankind.  The first needle broke, and the second one had a fight with the needle threader which they both lost.   :(
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.