The Sewing Place

Any Tips please

Vegegrow

Any Tips please
« on: September 22, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
I'm making a Juxtapostion quilt for DD http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-patterns/quilt-throws/juxtaposition
I have never quilted something so closely before ....I'm pressing well  pining and spray sticking ... any other tips
( face fabrics are all batiks batting is cotton I think and backing is a quilting cotton)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

Re: Any Tips please
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 19:57:32 PM »
?????????????????????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 20:04:47 PM »
 a quilted with lots of close lines.. suggested 1cm apart I wanted to know where I should start ... in the middle? and direction should all the lines be in the same direction.. no replies so I went on  a you tube hunt .. no help there  so relied on google .. lets hope it works.... :ninja:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

fajita

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 22:26:27 PM »
I'm no expert but I'd start in the middle and work out, alternating top to bottom, then bottom to top.

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
I have already started Fajita  following this online tip from the modern quilt guild

How to work your way through your quilt:
 I recommend that when it’s possible, always work from the center out of your quilt.

If you’re simply doing vertical straight lines along the entire face of the quilt, sew your first line right down the center of the quilt and then work your way out to the right.  Then flip the whole quilt 180 degrees and repeat this process
 :sew: :sew: :sew: :sew:....... lets hope it works

fajita

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
I'd also add, take regular breaks, rather than waiting til you go cross eyed, or just plain cross!

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »
Middle and outwards is what they always suggest... Ruby is the queen of close quilting  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 13:13:56 PM »
Sat down this morning to  stitch my next line and spotted my big mistake  :angry: so undid my 5 lines of quilting ... it had to be wrong there didn't it ....unpicked 2 lengths of blocks... turned them round checked to see if any of the patterns  were the same .. they were... unpicked and swapped them over ... re-stitched the blocks...  re-sewed the blocks to the quilt along one edge ... slip stitched the other edge ... stitched in the ditch down that seam to secure....... and breath

maliw

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 18:01:33 PM »
A glass of wine to help you relax? ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Vegegrow

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 18:56:38 PM »
 :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:..... several Maliw as all is restored and quilting is going well I love this quilt I do hope DD likes as well

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 12:08:01 PM »
Sat down this morning to  stitch my next line and spotted my big mistake  :angry: so undid my 5 lines of quilting ... it had to be wrong there didn't it ....unpicked 2 lengths of blocks... turned them round checked to see if any of the patterns  were the same .. they were... unpicked and swapped them over ... re-stitched the blocks...  re-sewed the blocks to the quilt along one edge ... slip stitched the other edge ... stitched in the ditch down that seam to secure....... and breath

Good grief, I'm with you in soul and anguish Vegegrow!  ......and breath, and drink  :toast: Can't wait to see the finished result. Looks gorgeous.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 15:08:11 PM »
All done ... some of the rectangles are a bit wavy but love the  finished result

fajita

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 16:31:24 PM »
That's a really lovely quilt.  :flower:

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 16:45:46 PM »
Beautiful!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 17:19:29 PM »
What gorgeous colours.  Nobody will ever notice wavy rectangles (what wavy rectangles) - quilts spend most of their life scrunched up a bit or draped somewhere.
Life's too short for ironing.