The Sewing Place

Circular Needle Supplier Help needed

BrendaP

Re: Circular Needle Supplier Help needed
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
If you are on Ravelry you'll see that there are endless discussions as to which method of knitting in the round is "best" and really there is no "best" it's personal preference and what suits your way of knitting, though you do need to try the different ways to know which is for you.

Personally I prefer using double point needles as I don't like loops or ends of needles dangling.  I have knitted a lot of socks and always use 3+1 double point needles.  For a hat I am happy with one  short circular needle (12" or 16")  and then change to DPNs for the crown, but I don't like the very short (8"-9") circulars for socks because the needle tips have to be very short and they are just not comfortable in my hands.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
I don't know if this helps Jessie - ignore it if it doesn't.

When you have cast on the stitches and 'split' them into 2 by the loop, push the stitches up on to the needles (you have half on each needle.
1) Hold the 2 needles, both containing stitches,  in your left hand one in front of the other - the one with the knitting yarn at the back.
2) Pull out the back needle and use it to knit the stitches off the front needle.
3) When the front needle is empty let it drop and pull the loop so that the second lot of stitches end up on that needle.

Repeat these 3 steps moving the yarn up out of the way each time before step 2 ( pulling out the back needle)

You could try knitting a few rows of a round on DPNs then transferring to a cable as it can be a bit tricky the first time trying to join the ends to form the round.  Once you know what you are doing it is no more difficult than joining the cast on into a round with DPNs.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 13:42:27 PM »
OK, I've done it!!  My brain is mashed, but I've done it!  I just couldn't get the idea of it at all, now I've got it!   :) :)

So, now that I can do it, I just need to be able to control those plastic wires, and incorporate ML into my knitting.

Anyone any clues for taming the wires?  I have to say, the expensive needles I bought for Theo's hat, are better by far than my cheapy ones.

Wonder if Father Christmas is listening?  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 17:43:23 PM »
WELL DONE!   0_0
I've not managed to tame the cables but find it best having a long one as the bigger loops stay out of the way better.
My interchangeable needles came with 4 cables of different lengths so I join 2 together if I want it longer.
I'm currently knitting a sweater doing the front and back in the round so I won't have any sides to sew up.
If you're writing to Santa check out sets of Knit Pro interchangeable needles.  Mine are Symphonie and they are just gorgeous.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 17:46:19 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 13:41:41 PM »
Just ordered a new set of circular needles!  I was browsing the Woolstack, and came across a set of KnitPro Nova Interchangeable circulars, reduced to £40.46, and free delivery!  Whoop whoop!

After using the new Addi needles, there was no comparison with my odd job ones.  I've bit the bullet, and ordered them before Christmas, so maybe I'll get a straight set in my stocking!   :) :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Maximum

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 14:09:47 PM »
Wow! No stopping you now.
ML does need playing with but like you say, once you've "got it" it all falls into place.
I nearly gave up at the first attempt because I read the instructions before picking up needles or yarn - it felt like I was trying to learn a foreign language. No idea how we all managed before You Tube etc.

Ellabella

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 00:34:15 AM »
Jessie that's wonderful, isn't it a fantastic feeling when everything suddenly clicks.

KnitPros are fab, I'm gradually replacing  my original plastic set with the Symphonie tips as I need them.

You deserve a large :gin:.

It will be hats all round soon.