The Sewing Place

Magic Loop - Craftsy Course

b15erk

Magic Loop - Craftsy Course
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
I received my 30cm circulars to knit Theo a couple of hats, and started a trial one yesterday.  I love the hat: https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2014/01/23/lauras-loop-garter-ear-flap-hat/ , but using those needles is really difficult for my hands.  I have big hands, not very flexible, and subject to cramps, so this has been a harder project than it need be.

Francesca suggested trying the Magic Loop, and I have tried, but it's always resulted in failure, for some reason, even with Youtube vids, I can't grasp the concept.

However, this morning, I saw a link to a Craftsy course, and wondered if it would be worth doing.  Have any of you tried it, or any other ML tutorial? 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

Re: Magic Loop - Craftsy Course
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »
Jessie, I thought I had previously posted a ML tutorial on here, the one that did it for me, but can't see it.  I'll dig it out and put it on in a mo.
No idea about the Craftsy course but to be honest as soon as the light comes on you've got it so I can't see how they could make it into a course.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

Re: Magic Loop - Craftsy Course
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »
Here is the magic loop tutorial  This time I will post it on the tutorial board too.

I found it so much easier than watching someone on a video pulling loops backwards and forwards.  I could follow the words and pictures at my own pace.

Don't try it with too few stitches, I would suggest about 30 so you have a reasonable amount on each needle.
The only hard bit, which is no different with DPNs is making sure you don't twist the casting on   when you join up for the first row.

Have a go - you will be inducted into the Magic Loop Hall of Fame before you can blink.
Life's too short for ironing.