The Sewing Place

Liesl & co Cinema dress

Kad

Liesl & co Cinema dress
« on: September 30, 2017, 21:05:48 PM »
I bought this pattern from Backstitch of Burwash Manor during our recent holiday, has anybody already made it up? And if so,   did you have any problems or did it sew together like a dream?
I'm anticipating that I'll have to add some length both above and below waist level and to the sleeve too, and will probably use a nice length of Liberty cord that's sitting prettily in my stash  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

UttaRetch

Re: Liesl & co Cinema dress
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
The dress in question.  Lots of versions here.

jen

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:28:20 AM »
Very nice! It looks like it will use standard techniques, but is a medium difficulty project, given that it has some nice details like neckline and pockets.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
I have no experience of using that company but I would be really interesred to see how you get on with this pattern. It has a slightly 1970s feel and would be lovely in patterned Liberty fabrics. I think there are a few reviews kicking round the internet so you can get ideas about how others found it.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Tricia

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 14:02:08 PM »
I have this pattern but not made it yet. 

I made the Cappuccino dress which is another Oliver&S pattern and I found the pattern and instructions very good.  I made the Cappuccino tunic version first and liked it.  The first dress I made with some cheap flowery material and it looked frumpy but the second version I made smaller using a nicer fabric and I like that version so much I will plan to make another.  :)

Sewbee

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 14:53:56 PM »
I had never heard of that company but I LOVE this dress! But it's a digital pattern. :(

Can you buy these patterns in the UK? I see some other styles I like, too.

PS: There's a paper pattern, too, though!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 15:02:16 PM by Sewbee »

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 15:04:03 PM »

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 15:11:18 PM »
Any help?  https://printyourpattern.com  :)

Wow! That certainly helps. Wouldn't the pattern pieces be plain white or would they have all the usual markings on them?

Fortunately, I did find a paper copy of that pattern on the web site but this is very useful for future should I find a pattern that is digital only.

Kad

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 16:34:06 PM »
I've finally got around to cutting out this pattern. My main complaint is that the paper pattern doesn't have markings to indicate waistline nor does it mention ' back neck to waist' measurements anywhere that I can find :( It does have several places marked to add or remove length)
 Due to my height, I usually have to add length to the pattern, but with careful measuring and a bit of 'keeping my fingers crossed'  0_0 it seems likely that this pattern will fit straight out of the packet. View B is long enough too! 50" so I would suggest that anyone of average height may need to shorten things.
I also decided against using my Liberty cord for the first attempt, instead choosing a fine wale embroidered stretch cord from oakmount mill at £6.99/m .I do remember making a similar style in the 70's, can't recall the brand, but in a slightly heavier cord.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 19:05:46 PM »
Let us see the finished product. Looks like a nice pattern.

Kad

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
Well it's going together really well, only the side seams, sleeves and buttonholes to complete.

I like the way that I don't get patterns for the interfacing but instructions to cut rectangles of a specific size - much less faff!
Also like the way that it tells me when to finish specific seam allowances - useful for a novice

I'm not sure about instructions to sew gathering lines at 5/8" & 3/8" from the raw edge when the seam allowance turns out to be  only 1/2" - but what's a bit of unpicking :S

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
You Sew the gathering lines so that they are either side of the seam stitching line... this gives more even control over the gathering

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
I hadn't twigged that either, Efemera - good point!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »
You Sew the gathering lines so that they are either side of the seam stitching line... this gives more even control over the gathering
And remember you're using a big stitch so it's easy to pull out the threads once the seam is sewn - unless of course you wander a bit when sewing and go over the gathering stitches  :S

Tricia

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 13:00:02 PM »
Wow! That certainly helps. Wouldn't the pattern pieces be plain white or would they have all the usual markings on them?

Fortunately, I did find a paper copy of that pattern on the web site but this is very useful for future should I find a pattern that is digital only.

I want to get the Geranium dress in the bigger size as my niece loves those dresses but at 6 years will soon be out of the smaller size.  The 6-12 size is pdf only and I have steered clear of printing out my own patterns but that company looks interesting but I have failed at the first hurdle as I have no idea what an AO Copyshop pattern PDF file is  >:)