The Sewing Place

Woohoo! - I'm a member at last

Kenora

Woohoo! - I'm a member at last
« on: October 01, 2017, 17:31:59 PM »
I used to lurk on TSF - then just as I was going to register - it disappeared! After a while I found TSP and did lots more lurking. Eventually I found the courage to register at the end of July but heard nothing for a couple of months, despite sending a couple of "nudging" emails. (Maybe it's because I wasn't on Facebook.) So anyway I joined FB, registered here again and - lo and behold - I'm now a member. Hooray! I've been doing so much back reading of posts that I feel I know a lot you lovely people already. :D

A bit about me - I learnt to sew on a Singer treadle when I was young, and made all my own clothes when I was in my 20's, but didn't discover a real passion for sewing until I retired and needed something to fill my time. Now I sew most days (on modern machines - don't have the room for vintage) - unless the sun is shining in which case the garden/greenhouse pulls me outside. I indulge in P&Q and dressmaking - and try to share my time equally between the two - loving every minute of it.

I also belong to the charity group, Loving Hands, so mostly donate my sewn and crocheted makes to the various different charities they support, although there have been a few requests from family too which is always great fun. I don't believe in cobbling things together because "it's just for charity" so I put maximum effort into everything I sew - even if sometimes it doesn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped. :'(

I keep saying I'll make stuff for me but never seem to get round to it, mainly because I'm always looking to start the next exciting project, preferably with a new technique or two thrown in. I love learning something new (you're never too old) so I'm looking forward to being inspired
by the members of this wonderful forum.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

UttaRetch

Re: Woohoo! - I'm a member at last
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 17:42:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum from someone who only makes clothes for herself - I know, I'm a selfish mare  0_0 

When you originally signed up, the activation email probably got trapped in spam - happened to me - and you may well find it's still there.  :D

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 18:01:49 PM »

When you originally signed up, the activation email probably got trapped in spam - happened to me - and you may well find it's still there.  :D

You're probably right - even though I've got spam switched off, a lot of my emails from charities get put in there. :angry:

Thanks for the welcome.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 18:20:32 PM »
Hello and welcome, glad you decided to stop lurking. Enjoy the forum.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 18:27:26 PM »
Sorry you've been waiting so long ...
the first time I saw your registration, I sent you through (but I do get a lot of spammers, you may have been lost in there)

So glad you persevered ..... and WELCOME !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 19:14:03 PM »
I'm glad I persevered too - it's lovely on here. :D I just need to learn my way around now.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 22:49:50 PM »
Welcome from me too - nice to have you here!

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 19:14:08 PM »
Welcome from me too, no need to register on facebook we welcome anyone here.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:48:53 AM »
Hi Kenora and welcome. Whereabouts in Cornwall are you? Snowgoose is at one end and I'm at the other  :D
Thank you for mentioning LH,  ( I joined ) I need some ideas as to where to send my quilts  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »
Hi Kenora and welcome. Whereabouts in Cornwall are you? Snowgoose is at one end and I'm at the other  :D
Thank you for mentioning LH,  ( I joined ) I need some ideas as to where to send my quilts  ;)

I think our posts are crossing on here and LH (Thanks for the welcome - I see you still can't sleep :'(). I'm about half a mile inland above the cliffs at Portreath, on the north coast below Perranporth, so possibly slightly nearer to you than Snowgoose?

I posted on LH that my current quilts are off to Project Linus (packing them up today), but it depends on the size of your quilts. The Lewis Foundation take lap quilts (3' or 4' square), and Siblings Together take single bed size (4' x 6'). I think Operation Orphan take quilts too but I'm not sure about sizes - most of the info is on the LH site. Post me on there if you have difficulty finding it. :)

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 14:55:50 PM »
Thanks Kenora  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D