UttaRetch

Upcoming Simplicity patterns
« on: October 02, 2017, 18:39:19 PM »
You can see them here.  I like

and

particularly the green version.

This

multi-option sleeve pattern also caught my eye, as did the

leotard, although there is a less than zero chance that I would ever make one.  0_0  Inevitably, some of these patterns will not cross 'the pond'.

SkoutSews

Re: Upcoming Simplicity patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 20:30:47 PM »
Oh my word...... I made that Simplicity 8505 kaftan in the 1970s.....honestly never thought I'd see it again!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 20:47:03 PM »
Absolutely nothing there I fancy, not even one teensy little bit  :(

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 21:45:30 PM »
Kaftans! We'll be seeing the return of flares next. Some of the vintage patterns are quite fun but I'm doubtful that I'd wear them - maybe the 50s coat.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 22:14:26 PM »
It was a poor idea as a 1970s teenager. Definitely never again!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 22:33:49 PM »
Years ago I bought two pairs of flared jeans at £1 each.  They come out when I have to do dusty heavy work.   Can we pretend I'm ahead of the game?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 23:25:14 PM »
I do like S6532 (sorry - I couldn't see how to transfer a link to it).

I'm starting to look for a pattern for my stepson's wedding next year and I really like the jacket. Not sure it'll do for August though!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »

Could make a lovely wedding outfit.

@SkoutSews: the 70's has been big for a couple of years now with Simplicity 8013 and Vogue 9253 being particularly popular.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
Not for me - much too recent.  I prefer the 50s retro patterns. 

Besides both of those 70s patterns have very low V necks which would just gape and reveal everthing if I were to try wearing them! :o
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
Many people who made the Vogue modified the bodice to make it more wearable, although this spectacular version was sewn without modification.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:46:29 AM by UttaRetch »

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
Is anyone here old enough to remember the process of turning your straight legged trousers into flares that some of us did in the early 70s? You unpicked the outer seam of both trouser legs to half way up the calf and then added a triangle of fabric. Voilà, instant flares! Maybe I will get that kaftan pattern after all....  ;)

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 09:14:01 AM »
Is anyone here old enough to remember the process of turning your straight legged trousers into flares that some of us did in the early 70s? You unpicked the outer seam of both trouser legs to half way up the calf and then added a triangle of fabric. Voilà, instant flares! Maybe I will get that kaftan pattern after all....  ;)

Oh yes, I'm that old LOL

I liked the top 6527 myself.

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
@SkoutSews: the 70's has been big for a couple of years now with Simplicity 8013 and Vogue 9253 being particularly popular.

That Simplicity pattern is lovely.

At a friend's daughter's wedding recently many of the younger women were wearing dresses with a 70s look to them. Seeing longer dresses with flow and movement in the design was such a refreshing change after the short 'spray-on' styles we've all had to suffer over the past few years.  Sometimes I feel that the innovation of lycra-mix fabrics was a huge mistake! 

As for the flare conversion trick, yes, I remember that too.  The jazzier and more psychedelic the godet insert, the better!  Then loon pants took over. Oh boy, 70s fashion....

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »
Mine were unpicked up to at least the knee - super flares!   0_0

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
Aaah loons. They were £2.50 a pair but I managed to find  them for £2. Invariably the zip broke and you had to be imaginative with a safety pin. They got tatty after a few washes... Happy days!