The Sewing Place

Open ended zip conundrum

sewmuchmore

Open ended zip conundrum
« on: October 02, 2017, 18:42:11 PM »
OK so my Grainline duffel is going together very nicely and for once i am following the instructions. When it come to putting the zip in the instructions are very specific that the zip side with the pull should go on the right, but all my zips have the pull on the left. Is this an American thing?
You can see from the photos on this blog that her zip pull is on the right. https://grainlinestudio.com/2012/11/26/autumn-wardrobe-northwoods-toggle-coat/
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Surest1tch

Re: Open ended zip conundrum
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 19:40:20 PM »
Put it on whatever side you are used to or comfortable with, it's your creation

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 19:53:56 PM »
Won't the pull tag determine which way the zip should go? You don't want it to end up on the inside of the garment (unless it is a reversible/double-sided zip, in which case it doesn't matter).

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 23:01:24 PM »
A quick look in the wardrobe and on the hooks in the porch showed that all of the coats and jackets, mine and Terry's, have the pull on the left of the garment.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
Do not women's coats and jackets fasten right over left?  The pattern definitely has the overlap the other way round. :S

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:20:39 AM »
Do not women's coats and jackets fasten right over left?  The pattern definitely has the overlap the other way round. :S

:[ It is right over left are you looking at something different?
As far as the zip goes Stitchintime you are right, the pull does determine which side you sew it to. What i wondered, but perhaps didn't explain properly, as the instructions are so specific they are in capitals, is whether American zips are the opposite way to ours.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
There's a particular brand of outdoor clothing (North Face I think) whose zips seem to fasten the opposite way to other brands, so perhaps it is a geographical thing.

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »
It's an outdated custom. Women's clothing is "supposed" to close on a particular side but there is little reason for it any more. Do whatever is most comfortable for you.

As far as I know, American zips are no different (having purchased from the US too).

North Face possibly use the standard mens zipping as they are outdoor wear?

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »
If there is an overlap it's usual for women's clothes to be right over left and men's to be left over right but that doesn't alter the zip.  It's the same with trouser flies, women's go right over left and men's left over right.  If I wear a 'unisex' garment constructed the men's way it feels really awkward to fasten.  However, I've just made these jeans and the pattern said to have the fly overlapping left over right.  I didn't, I it the conventional way!

For a jacket you have the opening end at the bottom and the pull will be on the side it is - unless the pattern specifies a two sided/reversible zip which can be opened/closed from either side, and in that case I can't see why the pull has to be on a specified side.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 16:09:34 PM »
It is right over left are you looking at something different?
So it is. :|  I have a real problem with photographs and often convince myself that the image is reserved.