The Sewing Place

Appliqué help please

Nanajan

Appliqué help please
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
I'm making a quilt for charity using some pieces that were passed to me. The centre and 2 blocks are already quilted, so I wanted to add some plain pieces on the sides with wadding behind. I also want to add some appliqué which came with the pieces, I'm not very experienced in appliqué, shall I apply to the plain fabric before adding the wadding or afterwards? If before I don't have any stitch and tear can I use paper instead?
Janet
I'm just catching up with yesterday by tomorrow I'll be ready for today

Iminei

Re: Appliqué help please
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 13:21:07 PM »
Put the wadding behind the blocks before appliqueing to stabilise them.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 17:37:08 PM »
I usually attach the applique piece with 'bond a web' to the plain fabric and then stitch it before quilting the background.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Nanajan

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 18:48:33 PM »
I put the bondaweb on first then I've done one panel by adding the wadding and then quilting around the appliqué piece. I'm tempted to do some free motion quilting but.....  :o I might practice on a small piece first
Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 21:46:46 PM »
Use bondaweb and stitching (hand or machine) to attach the motifs to plain fabric, then wadding and backing fabric and quilt that.

Because you have pieces already quilted you will need to join them together by a quilt as you go (QAYG) method.  It looks as though the quilting on the plain white piece goes right to the edges; that means you will have to use the method which uses sashing strips.  Iminei is the Queen of QAYG.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Nanajan

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, I've done one lot of appliqué will try later to do the other
Janet