The Sewing Place

I've FMQd Something!

Ploshkin

I've FMQd Something!
« on: October 07, 2017, 14:12:44 PM »
I've never been good at practising anything, I just get bored which is why I've never really mastered the piano.  So, after 4 or 5 practice sandwiches for FMQ I went for broke and did some for real.
Nothing major, I made a bag to contain my current knitting which always languishes on the end of the sofa and spare needles, tape measure etc disappear between the cushions.

I don't know if it was brave or foolhardy to go for light stitching on plain fabric.  I decided to stick to 2 designs in columns so that I didn't encounter the problem of getting lost.  I stitched (not FMQ) vertical columns 2" apart to give me some hope of staying on track.  The only other markings I made were for the loopy pattern where I chalked a base line to try and keep me straight.  On the bottom I marked 6 radiating lines but cursed myself for using a frixion pen as it has left a light mark, but it's on the base so I don't have to look at it.

I don't suppose there are any 2 stitches the same length but on the whole I didn't find it difficult to keep reasonably even.  I kept the machine speed relatively low so that I could put my foot right down without racing off.  Actually, I realised that using a machine all the time you are pretty much  aware of the needle / fabric speed ratio and I found my hands automatically speeded up / slowed down as the needle went faster or slower.  The worst bits are when my sandwich stalled against something without me noticing and the stitches wobbled or went really small.  I only unpicked 1" of stitching where I had started off a column and something got stuck and it jumped sideways.

For a first attempt I am really pleased with how it went and I now know that there was a reason for my constantly getting into trouble at school for doodling on my exercise books.
Life's too short for ironing.

supergran

Re: I've FMQd Something!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 15:21:08 PM »
Oh Ploshkin, that's fantastic! You really are a natural at this. I've also been practicing but not doing anything as good as yours. I'm finding it so hard to keep a consistent speed with my foot control. I may put the 1008 away and try again with the 350 which is electronic so much easier to get the speed right.
Love your bag.  <3

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 17:36:11 PM »
You are kidding me ????

Thats your first, second, third or fourth attempt a FMQ ???????

Get out of here, I do not believe you!!!!

If it really is, Im in awe....

Bloody marvellous, looks perfect and I would be over the moon to achieve that !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 17:38:55 PM »
Excellent work. So even. Well done.  :flower:

twopence

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 18:00:18 PM »
Lovely Plosh.  I too was/still am on agenda's doodler but not sure it's transferring to my FMQ as yet.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 22:19:52 PM »
That is fantastic!   :D :* :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 22:25:45 PM »
That's fantastic FMQ  :flower:  I've got a lot more practice to do before I'll be even half as good.

Well done.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 07:08:16 AM »
excuse me for a moment while i pick my jaw up...it seems to have dropped to the floor!!!  How super duper are you...that is just fabulous and clever and gorgeous.   Envious...me?.......you blooming betcha!!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
Wow!
I wish I could FMQ like that.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
Thank you for your kind words.  I'm glad I tackled it.  I've always been scared at the thought of FMQ but I've banished that now.  I actually enjoyed doing it when I got in the zone.  There's a long, long way to go before I even dream of taking on an entire quilt but I'm thinking I might have a go on the border of my mystery quilt. 
I've said it here so now I'll have to do it.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
Superb Ploshy
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
I am in total awe, it's fantastic Ploshie. :x

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 21:23:02 PM »
That is superbe! I have just fmq’d my African quilt but it is not anywhere near as perfect as that.Luckily the jazzy African fabric hides many sins

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 21:43:02 PM »
It was King Tut thread, Sheilago, left over from a previous quilt.  It's got 40/3 on the reel which I presume is the weight / 3 ply.  It is nice thread to use.
I think you're very brave to fmq an entire quilt.  I think I found these small designs easier than I would find big sweeping ones.