Horn cabinet Bristol! (eBay cheap)

Roger

Horn cabinet Bristol! (eBay cheap)
« on: October 07, 2017, 20:16:03 PM »
For any Bristol dwellers:

Horn Nova Sewing Cabinet https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152732541910

Currently.99p

Could be good for someone
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sewingsue

Re: Horn cabinet Bristol! (eBay cheap)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 22:39:52 PM »
Will be interesting to see what it finally goes for.
Just depends if more than one person realises what it should cost.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »
That looks to be in good condition.  There are 2 more down the bottom of the screen, one Bristol and one in the Midlands.
When I was looking for one a few years back they just didn't appear on e bay.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
£31.00 now and yes looks lovely ...
I'm thinking of alternatives to the sweat shop (aka ironing board in the corner of the dining room
loaded up with whichever project Im currently working on.)

I think the reason they are coming up on ebay now is ... ahem ... their owners are popping off to that great sewing room in the sky .... or Golden Acres down the road, I'm afraid!

Wish there was one going in Blandford :(
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »
If you can get a tidy one for a good price it would be worth paying  for a courier so doesn't really matter where it is, although you wouldn't be able to see it.  You don't get new for much under £1000 now.  It certainly works with lack of space.  Mine is out all the time but packs away nice and small and tucks in the corner of the room, or wheels out to another room, if we have visitors.

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
Imi, Horn Cabinets are based in Swindon, why not make contact with them you never know they might have a cabinet that has been to an exhibition that has the odd mark or two on it and will sell this cheaper.  Also why not do the rounds of sewing machine dealers that actually stock the cabinets as show models, as often these are sold off cheaper when a model has been discontinued – you never know what you might find.

For maximum use and space, I have a Sewmate II (Koala Cabinets from Australia and yes from Horn in Swindon) and when closed it looks like a neat sideboard, however when open it is huge as the top opens up towards the back giving a huge work surface.  I live in a tiny bungalow, the biggest room is 11 feet by 13 feet into a bay, so not a lot of room, but oh it does work and I find having all this extra space behind the machine essential especially when I made curtains,  a wedding dress, and I have different plexi’s for each machine – extravagant I know, but I much prefer sewing with the machine sewing area flush with the top of the cabinet.  I even use my overlocker set down so it is flush with the top.  Also I can move this cabinet from room to room easily myself, and now that my kids have left home I do have a dedicated sewing room.

Good luck with your hunt.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 13:15:07 PM »
It's at £56 now.

Kad

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 16:28:56 PM »
I sold my Horn cabinet on eBay last year, I'd bought it from a friend who was down-sizing and paid her what she asked. I however didn't get on with it very wel,l although it had loads of surface behind my machine and space for my overlocker too, it just didn't have space for my long legs and was also too low for me.
I posted lots of photos of it and its scratches/ chips and marks and provided local delivery too.
To be honest I was amazed at the frenzied bidding during the last day of the listing, my starting price was 99p and it ended up selling for more than I paid for it.
It's been replaced by an IKEA height adjustable table, a stack of mesh baskets and a new wheely chair. The table is great- it winds up high enough for me to stand up to cut out and low enough to be too low  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

realale

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:28 AM »
I got a Horn cabinet complete with modern singer sewing machine, plexi insert and full sewing box of threads, scissors, tailors chalks, needles etc etc for £10 plus £1.50 buyers premium at our local auction house.
The contents of the sewing box alone were worth more than that. I wasn't going to bid as I didn't have room for another machine but no one else bid so I started the bidding to get it going and mine was the only bid.  :S
Sadly it's now in storage until we can move and I can get my sewing room back.
So many beers, so little time.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »
The listing is now up to £180.99, with just under 11 hours to go. It will be interesting to see what it finally goes for.

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
£31.00 now and yes looks lovely ...
I'm thinking of alternatives to the sweat shop (aka ironing board in the corner of the dining room
loaded up with whichever project Im currently working on.)

I think the reason they are coming up on ebay now is ... ahem ... their owners are popping off to that great sewing room in the sky .... or Golden Acres down the road, I'm afraid!

Wish there was one going in Blandford :(

Imi, there must be couriers in the UK who would pick it up and deliver to you. DPD perhaps. Wish I knew more about UK couriers.

Snowgoose

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
https://www.shiply.com is very good for finding a courier!  :D  I have used them before without problems - just be aware that the cheapest quote may not be the best, as with eBay read the feedback!!

Anyvan is another but, I would personally, not use them ever again...  :angry:

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 16:47:45 PM »
Hmm, I would avoid Shiply.  Anyone can register there as a driver and then bid for loads.  My DH drives a lorry and has used Shiply in the past to find return loads.  But when he wanted a tractor picked up from Devon and put the job on there the driver who bid for the job kidnapped the tractor and demanded additional money before he would reveal where it was. We did get the tractor after some considerable hassle and when he went to the place where it was the farmer there said that it had been offered to him to buy by the person who was supposed to be delivering it to us.
There was no point in going back to Shipley because the driver was no longer registered with them anyway.
Better to stick to the nationwide courier services than risk some fly by night lunatic with your goods.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 16:49:18 PM by Ploshkin »

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 18:01:57 PM »
Eek, Ploshkin, that's outrageous!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 18:21:55 PM »
It's up to £335 now with 2 hours to go.