The Sewing Place

Making a wedding belt

Francesca

Making a wedding belt
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
I offered a few months back to help my friend make a belt for her wedding. Essentially a bit of glitz attached to a ribbon to tie around her waist. The shop wanted to charge her £350 for one to go with her dress. I told her it was ridiculous and she agreed.

She bought one on Etsy that she liked for the jewel part but it's on a horrid pink polyester ribbon. I encouraged her to go for silk so we went to VV Rouleaux on Saturday and got her some coffee latte coloured silk satin ribbon, really gorgeous.

I didn't realise that the bejewelled bit is glued onto the horrible pink ribbon not stitched. I can see it's all sewn onto a backing piece of net, but it looks like the net has been glued in three places as you can see the glue residue on the inside of the ribbon.

Do you think a dab of some sort of spirit will help release the glue enough that I can gently remove it from the ribbon?

Also when it comes to stitching the bit onto new ribbon, do you think it'll matter that there will be stitch thread shown on the back of the ribbon? I don't plan to glue it back onto the new one.

Her Mum is giving me her old garter and I'm going to unpick the blue bows attached to it and sew them to the inside of the belt as her "something blue" and possibly her "something old" too unless she finds something else.

Vegegrow

Re: Making a wedding belt
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
I think you need a dance lady they all know a lot about glues and sparkly stuff
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »
... when it comes to stitching the bit onto new ribbon, do you think it'll matter that there will be stitch thread shown on the back of the ribbon? I don't plan to glue it back onto the new one.
It won't matter, but you might want to consider supporting that bit of the tie if the trim is heavier than the fabric.
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 13:36:02 PM »
I thought about that but the sparkly bit doesn't weigh anything much and the ribbon is quite wide so I think it'll be fine.

CarolC

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 16:25:22 PM »
I didn't realise that the bejewelled bit is glued onto the horrible pink ribbon not stitched. I can see it's all sewn onto a backing piece of net, but it looks like the net has been glued in three places as you can see the glue residue on the inside of the ribbon.

Do you think a dab of some sort of spirit will help release the glue enough that I can gently remove it from the ribbon?

The solvent depends on the glue. Try an acetone based nail varnish remover. That usually takes off the "permanent" E600 type glues.

If that doesn't work, try soaking in very hot/boiling water - that may soften it enough to let you at least peel it off the backing (this works for glues like GemTac that don't respond well to acetone). The hot water method won't get all the glue out of the fabric, but that won't matter since you want to throw that away anyway.

Barring all of that, could you cut away enough backing so it won't show when you restick it to the new ribbon?

Good luck!

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 17:47:55 PM »
I think I will try acetone first, and then I'll just cut away. Worried that dipping in boiling water could affect the gems on the front. Thanks for the advice!

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 19:12:44 PM »
Indeed, boiling water might unglue everything.  0_0
What goes around comes around.