The Sewing Place

Making a lovely pearly hat

Francesca

Making a lovely pearly hat
« on: October 11, 2017, 17:34:14 PM »
Now that it's getting colder I've got in a knitting mood. I decided to frog the beginnings of a hat I'd started last year (I'd only done the brim) and start again.

I'm using a silk/merino blend DK from John Arbon and holding it double with Rowan Kidsilk Haze for added fluffiness. Both in cream/natural. I originally had a pattern with cabling but I think the fuzzy halo will make the cabling disappear so I have gone for a very basic stocking-stitch pattern with a turned up double thickness brim. It's slightly slouchy.

I'm going to add pearl beads to it. Popping past the bead shop in London tomorrow to look for some. I will probably thread them only onto the kidsilk haze as I don't know if the DK will go through. Then I'm going to knit them into the stitch at various points (scattered/no pattern).

I might add an alpaca fur pom pom on at the end as I have one in my knitting stash. (Alpaca fur pom poms via TOFT Knitting shop are responsibly sourced as they come from young alpacas who do not survive the elements, the alpacas aren't killed specifically for their fur).

Ploshkin

Re: Making a lovely pearly hat
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 17:54:52 PM »
the alpacas aren't killed specifically for their fur)

That's a rather bizarre selling point as alpaca fleece is like a sheep's fleece - they are presumably shorn like sheep and it grows back every year so no one would kill them for their wool. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 20:37:54 PM »
That's a rather bizarre selling point as alpaca fleece is like a sheep's fleece - they are presumably shorn like sheep and it grows back every year so no one would kill them for their wool.

Why is it bizarre? They are usually shorn, but if they die, the pelts can be used like a sheepskin. That's the point (that is fur with a more ethical source as it's a byproduct not the main product).

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 22:02:32 PM »

I thought that at first, then I realised I was thinking about fleece - which is shorn and grows back - whereas I now understand Francesca is referring to fur - ie the skin taken from a deceased animal.
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 22:14:31 PM »
Ah, I see, reading too quickly.  Though I don't think shearing alpacas is unethical or less ethical - if it is like a sheep it needs to be done for welfare reasons.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 22:47:10 PM »
Ah, I see, reading too quickly.  Though I don't think shearing alpacas is unethical or less ethical - if it is like a sheep it needs to be done for welfare reasons.

Yeah of course. But this refers to the fur that is gathered when the animal is dead. It is skin backed. So it is a more ethical option for purchasing fur. As in, skin of animal. Not comparing to the alpaca fleece.

The TOFT shop sells these pom poms alongside it's alpaca yarn as a different option to get a furry feel but without direct involvement in the fur industry.

(Although I have to say, while sheep and animals do need to be shorn for welfare reasons currently a lot of people will say that is only because we have bred them to be the animal they are today, with the dependency to be shorn.)

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »
We could probably debate the rights and wrongs and details of alpacas and sheep (and stray into mohair, cashmere .....) for the rest of the month but it would be straying rather from the subject of knitting.
Your hat sounds lovely and I hope we will see a picture when it's done, pom pom and all  :)

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »
Around here some sheep make their own arrangements for shearing...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
Do you get lots of floofs on the fences?

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:42 AM »
Oh yes.  Sometimes it's in the trees, bizarrely high up off the ground.   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Do you get lots of floofs on the fences?

Usually anywhere they can have a good scratch, fallen trees are a favourite spot. 
Acorn, didn't you know that they fly at night? ;)
Some of our sheep are a breed known as Easycares that naturally shed their fleeces all year round so don't need to be shorn.  They are bred from Wiltshire Horns that are natural fleece shedders.  Even the very young lambs shed their wool and can look as though someone has shaved off patches with a razor.

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 22:18:17 PM »
I forgot how long knitting takes. I've nearly finished a brim!

I have two cupboard full of lovely wool. I wonder if any of them are worth selling now it's getting wintery. Maybe I could pop some up in For Sale. I have so much and I'd love to reclaim that cupboard space!