The Sewing Place

London?

Efemera

London?
« on: October 12, 2017, 16:39:14 PM »
It's our Ruby anniversary shortly so we've booked ourselves into The Mondrian in London for 5 nights...anything I shouldn't miss while we're in the big city? ( not fabric related I've got that sorted!)

UttaRetch

Re: London?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 17:19:19 PM »
Try and get to the Tower of London.  I saw the 'crown jewels' and it was spectacular.  There will be a queue as it's a popular exhibit, but it moves fast.  You will also be in the vicinity of Tower Bridge and can walk across it or go down some steps and look upwards.
What goes around comes around.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 19:16:08 PM »
If you like art collections, try the Wallace Collection http://www.wallacecollection.org, which is amazing and has a good café too.
Walks up Primrose Hill and/or Parliament Hill are well worth it for the views out over London.
A trip down the river to Greenwich is a good day out.
Arrange a tour of the Houses of Parliament through your MP http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/tours-of-parliament/tours/
So much to choose from! St. Paul's, the V & A, a canal boat trip from Little Venice...... Have a great time!

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 08:19:31 AM »
I can recommend the V&A.  It has a permanent clothing exhibit and is altogether a lovely museum.  I also like the river and there are a number of riverside walks that you can take.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »
I've organised a tour of the Houses of Parliament, Churchills war Rooms, Tower Bridge. Was thinking of a night time bus tour and a Jack the Ripper walk.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
I've organised a tour of the Houses of Parliament, Churchills war Rooms, Tower Bridge. Was thinking of a night time bus tour and a Jack the Ripper walk. 

I did the Jack the Ripper walk years ago and it is really good.  You end up (or at least we did back then) around Spitalsfield Market near a bagel shop that should be open who do the most amazing bagels!

The kids and I recently did the Tower Bridge experience, which was really good, although not if you've not got a head for heights, lunch at Borough Market and then a river boat trip!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »
I can recommend the V&A.  It has a permanent clothing exhibit and is altogether a lovely museum.

I have always wanted to visit the V&A, but does it have 'normal' lighting??

I ask because I visited the Shoe Museum in Northampton around 18 months ago, which had been on my wants list for a long while, and it was a huge disappointment... the lighting was practically non-existent, so as to preserve the exhibits, but it was so gloomy in there I had to use my keyring torch to see anything properly, and after all the peering about in the darkness I left with a monstrous headache which ruined the rest of our day out. They also played The Who's "Pinball Wizard" over and over and over again, which was a bit too much tbh, even if you liked the track. Not a good experience, and one I would sadly not recommend.

DD wants us to do a mini-break to London soon, but if the lighting is set to low in the V&A then I think I'll probably pass on visiting there..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:54:31 AM by Madame Cholet »
If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
the V&A is amazing and fascinating - the building, the exhibits and the atmosphere.  The lighting is fine. 
It will take more that one visit to see even half what's there.
A tip - the refreshments in the V&A cafes are expensive.

Across the road from the V&A is the Science Museum, another place with fascinating things to see.
From the V&A you can walk down to Kensington Palace gardens.

There is so much to see and do - enjoy..

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
Phew - that's a relief! Thanks Morgan  0_0
If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
I have always wanted to visit the V&A, but does it have 'normal' lighting??

I ask because I visited the Shoe Museum in Northampton around 18 months ago, which had been on my wants list for a long while, and it was a huge disappointment... the lighting was practically non-existent, so as to preserve the exhibits, but it was so gloomy in there I had to use my keyring torch to see anything properly, and after all the peering about in the darkness I left with a monstrous headache which ruined the rest of our day out.
The National Trust do this is some places.  It's claustrophobic and very depressing, and I don't visit those exhibitions any more.  If the V&A can protect their exhibits and still have good lighting, surely the National Trust can!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bowerbird

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
It was 15 years ago and the crowds are bigger/huger now, but when we went to the Tower of London we got there just before opening time. (It was a public holiday so opened an hour later than we expected). We went straight to see the Crown Jewels and almost had the room to ourselves for as long as we wanted. After that we meandered around the rest of the Tower, and by the time we were leaving the queues were getting very long.

We also took a hop on/hop off boat trip, and really enjoyed it. We've made it a rule now to always take a boat trip in any city that has them, such a restful way to get around between the walking.
previously known as Plottie,

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 13:45:11 PM »
The V&A is my favourite museum and the fashion section is wonderful, with the special exhibitions there being even better.

If you need to get from one end to the other, consider a river boat. They're about £4 and you buy the ticket with an app on your phone and scan it. It's a nice way to travel.

If you need any restaurant recs let me know, I like to eat  0_0

Ravingdoll

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 14:15:35 PM »
The bars and clubs are my forte if you're interested. I know some really good places to get wasted!

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 15:42:09 PM »
... Was thinking of a night time bus tour ...

London at night is beautiful as many buildings and landmarks are lit to show them at their best.

The bars and clubs are my forte if you're interested. I know some really good places to get wasted!

0_0 Why does this not surprise me?

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 17:12:16 PM »
I'd like some eating place recommendations please...don't mind what..I'll eat most things!