The Sewing Place

Friday the 13th eek!

justpottering

Friday the 13th eek!
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:50 AM »
Morning all
Dark windy wet greets us this morning here in the forest, market this morning then off to dads, we're expecting a visit from his sister today who he hasn't seen for some time, I hope she comes as he is looking forward to it
Effie I will put the recipe up later  :cake:
Have good days all whatever you get up to ( especially those among you who are superstitious about today's date )   :ninja:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Tamnymore

Re: Friday the 13th eek!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
Have a good day, all. I'm off for an eye test this morning.. i can hardly contain my excitement.  :S
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
A bit dull here this morning but the weather forecast is good.

It's the local lace group meeting today; just lately the lace meetings have been the only time I get the lace pillow out.  It's properly covered in a bag but I'm hoping I don't have to literally 'dust it down' as a result of the building work here!
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
Having started the week in long sleeves and trousers, I'm now back to short sleeves and 3/4 trousers as I was far too hot in jeans on yesterday's walk.  The sun's trying to come out, but there are a few clouds this morning.  No plans today, one or two parcels due to be delivered (I will find another pair of jeans that fit!) and grass to cut.  And just a walk from here for the pupster today.

twopence

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
DS's birthday today so card was sent to Canada weeks ago.  I hope it arrived.  He has an English test today as part of his application for residency.  He should pass that and then they are off up the Bruce Peninsula for a weekend in the wilderness.  His birthday present is money towards new walking boots which seem to cost the same as a small car but as his current ones are over ten years old and have walked up Machu Pichu along with other places he has had his money's worth.

JP, I used to get so annoyed with my cousins and others who would phone Dad, say they would visit and then not turn up.  He would look forward to it so much and then start making excuses for them when they didn't arrive.  The best was if they contacted me to arrange it and then it would be a lovely surprise for him when they arrived out of the blue.  I could also ensure that he had no medical appointments, milk in the fridge and perhaps take cake or biscuits round.  These were people younger than Dad though and your Aunt must be nearer his age so perhaps visiting is more difficult.  I hope he gets to enjoy her visit.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »
Off to collect a Singer 201 in a small table...and may as well spend some time in the Metro Center while we're up that way!

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
I'm not superstitious but not the best start to the day.  Rain lashing down and we've just had to cut the bars of a gate to release a calf that had somehow got itself well and truly wedged  :S. There's no bread for toast either  :'(
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:55 PM »
.... and it continues.  I've just rotary cut over a pin that was lurking on the cutting board underneath the fabric.  Can I remember where I saw the spare blade the other day?  Of course I can't.  Now I've got to go out in the pouring rain and hold bits for DH to weld the gate back together.
Life's too short for ironing.

hernibs

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 13:55:27 PM »
Here in the auld green sod it is very wet and very warm.
Got an appointment with my GP for 9.50 this morning - I've had a sore heel for many a month (Since May in Berwick) and can't bear it any longer.  I'm off to a local hospital for an x-ray......I hope my boney bit hasn't grown a spur as he says he hopes it hasn't....time will tell.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 13:58:42 PM »
Working from home today and heading to Kent later for my friend's 90s themed birthday party  0_0

Trying to tidy the house a little and get some washing done while I'm here!

Really annoyed I was supposed to be going in a costume tonight with my friend as a pair and she has flaked out :( So aggravating. However I've convinced the boyfriend to pair with me.

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 14:05:03 PM »
It's Friday the 13th so I am staying put!!! Being Welsh-born I worry about days like this.  ;)

Yesterday i was driving on a narrow road where there are construction fences. Some clown was coming from the other direction much too fast for a right-angled corner on a narrow construction road (at the doctor's office) so I pulled to the left and rubbed a bit of my car against the construction fence! I managed to rub out quite a bit but there's still about 10 inches of scratch there. Waiting for dealership to call me with paint number to see if I can polish it out. If not, I'll get it resprayed in that area. Wouldn't mind so much but my lovely car is only four months old!

Nope! Not doing a darned thing on the 13th!!!

maliw

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 14:26:22 PM »
Good afternoon. A grey but warm day here. We had DGS2 this morning and were at the swings by 9.15am - I was never that early when mine were small. He's gone now and OH has gone out so peace is restored, why am I so sleepy?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

justpottering

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 19:53:56 PM »
JP, I used to get so annoyed with my cousins and others who would phone Dad, say they would visit and then not turn up.  He would look forward to it so much and then start making excuses for them when they didn't arrive.  The best was if they contacted me to arrange it and then it would be a lovely surprise for him when they arrived out of the blue.  I could also ensure that he had no medical appointments, milk in the fridge and perhaps take cake or biscuits round.  These were people younger than Dad though and your Aunt must be nearer his age so perhaps visiting is more difficult.  I hope he gets to enjoy her visit.

She came! and even dad was surprised, he says she has never visited him in this house, (20 years) even though he and mum visited her, and she kept saying she would, but she has not long lost her husband and to be fair, I think it was him who didn't like visiting family rather than her. Dad and her chatted non stop, whilst I fed them tea and cake at intervals  0_0 she stayed for about 3 hours and dad was totally whacked when she left and slept for a couple of hours after she left, with a promise to visit again in a couple of weeks.
She had me laughing out loud when she was telling me about a shopping trip with her daughter, her daughter pointed out a nice dress and suggested it would look good on her - she said NO WAY that's a dress for old ladies, I remember my grandmother having one like that, and the material reminds me of some curtains we used to have  - the bit that made me laugh is the remark about it being an old lady's dress as she was 80 last birthday  0_0
JP

justpottering

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 20:22:15 PM »
Effie have posted the recipe in the Café
If you make them let me know what you think
 :loveit:
JP

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 21:17:07 PM »
We do have a good spot here for stargazing, sitting in the hot tub, tonight's count was four shooting stars and four satellites  0_0