The Sewing Place

Ticker tape quilt?

Snowgoose

Ticker tape quilt?
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:06:38 AM »
Has anyone ever made a ticker tape quilt, please?  I love the idea of no 1/4" seams, no worry about cutting or piecing, and the rustic look - I'm probably just lazy  :D  I thought a very small stitch would keep the fraying edges in check when the quilt is washed? 

Would love to know if anyone has tried, I have some charity shop remnants to play with and am stuck for very simple ideas  -<

Ploshkin

Re: Ticker tape quilt?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 18:13:46 PM »
I had to look it up Snowgoose, I'd never heard of one but it looks like another thing for the list of things to try.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 22:28:44 PM »
Ohh, nice, project 952!

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »
I had to look it up too.

I should imagine they would fray untidily to begin with and need the scruffy threads trimming off...after a few washes they'd be lovely and soft.

I like them  :)...something else to bookmark for a possible future project.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:28:12 AM »
Like a Rag quilt but not .... and I couldn't 'face' a rag quilt in the end ... this is how it turned out ...

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
Snowgoose, consider a rag quilt.......accuracy is not a deal breaker and they are super soft and cuddly when finished. The seam allowance is whatever you wpuld like it to be and it doesn't matter if it is a bit wobbly...by the time you get all the fraying happening........fraying hides a multitude of inaccuracy! The squares are quick and easy to put together with just a cross sewn on them to keep the batting in place. And the best thing...like QAYG, the quilt is being made as you make your squares....NO basting, pinning or planning a quilting pattern...just sew the little suckers together and its done!! Yeah, well maybe the snipping of all the seams is a bit of a downer...but,  arm yourself with some ragging shears put on a favourite movie and collect several glasses of your preferred adult beverage and just settle in to the task. The quilt pictured took me about 2.5 hours to rag/snip.

Word of warning though...for the first wash you will want to check your washing machine and your dryerfilter frequently as you will get a heap of frayed threads coming off of it. Believe me..its worth it though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:47:53 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!