The Sewing Place

...and the next UFO completion in progress

rubywishes

...and the next UFO completion in progress
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:23 AM »
I had this set of blocks done from a while back and over the months I had tried matching them with other coloured blocks in an effort to make a good sized lap quilt with them. Problem was that any colour put with the batiks immediately killed the different colours in the batik....all your eyes were drawn to was the other coloured blocks. I then realised I had a heap of this dark brown fabric left from a sale purchase and thought it might look good helping to make the batik shine. I have pieced the columns, now just need to put them together and find a backing. I'm loving the rich starkness of it....very happy with it but Mr,Ruby thinks I need to add a coloured border to it. Whatcha think? I guess if I put a thin coloured border on then I could use the brown patterned fabric for the binding...might look good?  What about using the cream fabric for a thin border?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

Re: ...and the next UFO completion in progress
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »
Looks like there is some beautiful blue in there Rubes, would that work?  Or that lovely wine colour....

Or maybe the colours on my monitor are up the wall....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »
Yes Jessie, you're right...this batik has some striking blue, raspberry and orange through it. I guess any of them would look good in a narrow border...yeah...better than the cream. Will have to think on it for a few days...the next 2 days are full of babysitting the grandchildren so the sewing room door will be locked!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »
Yes Rubes, grandchildren and sewing machines are a no-no until they are older - I would have visions of one of them sewing their fingers - or worse, someone else's finger!  :S :S

Enjoy!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »
I think that your suggestion of a narrow cream border and then the brown for the binding sounds best - or cream border and the same batik for the binding if you have any left.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
It's the weirdest thing...I found some teal batik (how does this stuff appear in my house?) which is a pretty darn good match to the blue in my squares BUT as a whole solid strip it screamed at the brown so that went back in the tub under the table! So I rummaged out the last of the cream which I know plays nicely with the brown, a quick measure and calculation and yep, I think I've got enough for a 2" border so cream it will have to be.

Now here's a thought....what's your opinion on using the same fabric (the patterned brown) for the backing? Can't find anything else I like in the shop but noticed there was more of the same stuff on special again.

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 13:51:59 PM »
Have you thought about using a flanged binding so that you get a thin highlight of the blue without drawing the eye to it too much?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 18:41:49 PM »
using the same fabric (the patterned brown) for the backing

Why not, if you like it. And if it's a good price too...

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 19:07:52 PM »
Sounds fine to me  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 20:09:24 PM »
Hmmmmm, Kenora I have tried doing flanged binding before, might have a fiddle with that idea. :)

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 18:09:42 PM »
Hmmmmm, Kenora I have tried doing flanged binding before, might have a fiddle with that idea. :)

I think it's effective without detracting from the main quilt, and it's easy to do (which helps). I usually only have a very small amount of the highlight colour showing, as in this simple string quilt. It's a bit hard to see but you might be able to zoom in.

(Sorry - don't know why the photo has turned on its side - it's my first time of adding one to a post.  :S)

Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 18:56:43 PM »
That is a beautiful quilt!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.