The Sewing Place

Scuba?

Happymrsg

Scuba?
« on: October 20, 2017, 16:48:43 PM »
Hi
I saw some lovely scuba fabric in Abakhan. I was wondering whether you could tell me what garments you have sewn using scuba. Can you direct me to photos? Any advice for using scuba?
I saw a Simplicity pattern Project Runway Dress 8213 which specifies that it's  especially for scuba, but i'd  love some other recommendations

Thanks

UttaRetch

Re: Scuba?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 20:16:24 PM »
Assuming you are talking about this

and not this

then you can make dresses or skirts.  The 'new' scuba fabric is otherwise what used to be called double knit and it has a slight stretch.  It's fine for this time of year, but in summer you will sweat like the proverbial pig.  0_0

Happymrsg

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 00:00:11 AM »
I was hoping for a more positive comment.
Utta you clearly don't like this. Is that the general feeling?

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »
Not a fan.. doesn’t  press well but on the other hand doesn’t crease, just a sweaty springy fabric

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »
I was hoping for a more positive comment.

Sorry you didn't like my response and perhaps it wasn't as helpful as I thought.  Here are images of clothing made using scuba knit.  As I said, it's just a double knit with a bit of horizontal stretch.  I started a pattern using scuba knit, but went wrong in the cutting and abandoned the whole project (a) because I couldn't more fabric and (b) the dress was coming up too small despite starting out with the right size.

maliw

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
I made this pattern
https://www.stylearc.com/shop/sewing-patterns/amanda-stretch-short/
in a denim look, scuba type(not sure that it was actually scuba but very similar) fabric. They are very comfortable but not suitable for now!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 11:08:48 AM »
I quite like it, but you have to pick your temperature - it is warm, no doubt. >< I've made some pencil skirts with it - dead easy and quick - about 15 mins start to finish. No seam finishes to worry about. Doesn't crease. Have a go at a skirt and see if you like it. Also made Sabrina Slim pants from Love Notions Patterns and they are fine but were far far too hot for here in the summer, so I'm getting them out now as it's a bit cooler.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 00:26:46 AM »
Scuba is a description which confuses me too.  I always think it should refer to the neoprene stuff wet suits are made of - Uttaretch's second photo - but so often it really just means a stretch knit fabric.

http://www.neucarol.com/is-it-neoprene-or-scuba-knit-should-i-care/
gives a run down on the differences between scuba knit, neoprene and ponte and how so often the words are (wrongly) interchanged.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
Male pattern boldness also did an excellent write up on neoprene.

Hachi

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 08:40:36 AM »
I made McCall's 7014 with scuba a couple of years ago.

I wrote about this dress and my experience with scuba fabric on my blog.

I think the scuba works nicely for a dress that is fitted or has structure like sheath dress, or straight skirt. The fabric keeps it's shape and does not show your body's rumps and bumps like rayon jersey may show.
I don't quite like how scuba touches my skin so I probably avoid using it for a sleeve. I have seen people make jacket with scuba.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 22:28:49 PM by Hachi »

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
Thanks for the links, Brenda. The blog posts were interesting to read and left me wondering where Crimplene would fit into all of this.
https://vintagefashionguild.org/fabric-resource/crimplene/

Is Scuba just a trendy version of Crimplene or would Ponte be nearer to Crimplene?

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

I don't quite like how scuba touches my skin so I probably avoid using it for a sleeve.

One of my first attempts at bra making was with a kit from Merckwaerdigh which included a type of scuba fabric with a layer of foam sandwiched between fine knit and I couldn't wear it; not because of the fit but because the fabric made me itchy  :o
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »
Is Scuba just a trendy version of Crimplene or would Ponte be nearer to Crimplene?
I bought some scuba for a top a while ago because the (online) seller said 'you won't believe this isn't cotton'.  Really?!?  In what parallel universe?!!?? 

I would say that it is exactly like double thickness crimplene.  I don't know how much variation there is in it though.

It is really not for me, but I am a bit of a natural fibre zealot, and rarely wear anything that doesn't have at least a high proportion of natural fibres.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
left me wondering where Crimplene would fit into all of this.

As I remember it Crimplene (crimped terylene? - terylene being a brand name for polyester) was quite a 'hard' textured knit fabric, similar to this which is described as cloqué jersey.

From the same source I have purchased plain cotton feel poly scuba which is just like a double knit, and baby scuba which again is a double knit (and turned out to be very successful, I've had a lot of compliments when wearing the dress :) )

I think that Hachi's comment "the fabric keeps it's shape and does not show your body's rumps and bumps" is maybe the most apt description of 'scuba'.  It's a jersey fabric which doesn't wrinkle or mould itself to the body.  If there is no indication in the description that it includes a bonded layer or that it contains neoprene then it's probably just a double jersey.

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 13:54:55 PM »
I purchased this

length of vintage Crimplene.  It doesn't bear much relation to the scuba knit that I purchased for the abortive dress.  The Crimplene is in my 'box of preciousness'.  0_0