The Sewing Place

Coat pattern and fabric help please

Bodgeitandscarper

Coat pattern and fabric help please
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
I saw this coat and fell in love - but of course they don't go up to FM sizes (Fu... errrr, Fairly Massive!).
So can anyone help with an online source of fabric - I think it's the colour and the huge size of the checks that I like - and I'll have a search for the pattern - the collar and the rounded fronts are the key things I think.

Oh, you'll need a linky  - https://www.lookagain.co.uk/products/stand-out-check-coat-by-joe-browns/_/A-43E740_10

Starryfish

Re: Coat pattern and fabric help please
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 13:11:28 PM »
This fabric has a very large check , although the colours are not quite the same. Fabworks have some great wool fabrics, not cheap though.
https://www.fabworks.co.uk/collections/wool-brown-orange-and-rust/products/autumn-spice
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 13:30:50 PM »

Butterick 6292 goes up to a size 24.

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 13:55:45 PM »
Showed DD the coat pic Bodgey posted then the fabric Starryfish posted and the pattern Utta posted and remarked that we are great enablers...and she agreed and looked at me .. does that mean she wants one?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 16:41:55 PM »
Maggie fabrics on ebay had something quite similar to that a few emails ago. Sorry I've deleted the email so can't do you a link.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 16:55:26 PM »
Try  192331974591.htm   I have never saved a link before, it works from my desktop but don't know if it works for everyone.  At the moment she has 11 fabrics under 'wool, check' and some tartans. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 18:28:08 PM »
Truro Fabrics has an excellent selection of fabrics that could work: https://www.trurofabrics.com/wool-fabrics/tartan-cloth.html

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 18:39:52 PM »
Thanks peeps, I saw that Butterick pattern (in fact I may even have it), but did wonder if it has too many seams for a check fabric?  Do you know one thing I've never done is pattern match?  The two of Fran's look interesting, although I like  a little shaping and no belts - all things can be altered :-)
I need to look at all those fabrics, thank you everyone.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 19:00:42 PM »
The original coat you posted appears to have princess seams so it is certainly possible to make such a coat with tartan or checked fabric. I've made several tartan jackets in my time, some with princess seams and you can often get a really dramatic effect. It is more work doing the pattern matching but it is perfectly possible. Of course, you can't perfectly match all the way up a princess seam so I would make sure the bottom of the seam matches and then as it becomes impossible to match over the bust, make sure both princess seams on the front move away from the exact match by the same rate if you see what I mean. Side seams and centre back seams aren't so difficult It really depends whether you want to be bothered with the work but I like doing it - brings out a bit of OCD in me!

I'd say the first two of UR's suggested coats would work OK. Fran's suggestions also good. Check out fabfabricsby maggie on eBay. She often has excellently priced wool fabrics
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 19:03:18 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 19:47:01 PM »
Thanks peeps, I saw that Butterick pattern (in fact I may even have it), but did wonder if it has too many seams for a check fabric?

I did think about the seams, which is why I posted the line drawing in the hope that perhaps view B could have view D's collar.  I think if you could manage the 'mash-up' using a similar check to the ready to wear coat, you are pretty much there. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 20:17:23 PM »
Exactly my thoughts UttaRetch, thank you -  I was still wondering about the princess seams though.

I'm struggling with this whole idea, as I now realise it's that material that I really, really want!!  I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything that's (almost) the same.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 20:22:18 PM »

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 21:27:05 PM »
Coat weight wool fabric can understandably be quite expensive. Fabfabrics by maggie has a few tartan wools at excellent prices but they are dark navy with white and red which may not be what you want. designlite--uk on ebay ( I think they may be the same company as aymelited and gauss-uk) have some very well priced wools and tartans. Even if they aren't exactly what you wanted they may be good for a practice!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 21:56:43 PM »
Whilst totally different colours, I quite like these two: -

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/81-poso-f17-019_tartan-jacket-fabric-grey.html

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/81-poso-f17-017_bird-of-paradise-jacket-fabric-pink.html

although I think the second may be a bit too bright!

Or even this one, depending how much sparkle is in it -

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/81-poso-f17-018_lurex-checks-jacket-fabric-turquoise.html
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 22:00:44 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »