The Sewing Place

Finally finishing blinds

Francesca

Finally finishing blinds
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
My boyfriend's Dad put roman blind kits up for us March 2016 all around the house and I've only finished one blind  :|

So I'm going to try and get cracking on the two small, simple blinds needed for the downstairs dining room. An extra bonus to this is that when I listen to my creepy true crime podcasts while I sew, I will no longer fear scary monster faces at the window as the room looks out on total darkness.

I bought this IKEA fabric years ago and used it for some projects here and there but there should be enough to do two blinds (the windows aren't huge). They will be lined but not interlined as it's only the dining room.

Going to use this video so hopefully they'll come out better than my last set: http://www.mydecozo.co.uk/content.php?s=8beb9bd2a8cca93cca4e1da9fe24ddd3

Sewbee

Re: Finally finishing blinds
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »
Pretty fabric, Francesca. Are you doing Roman blinds?

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
That's the way I make all my Roman blinds  gives a great finish and no stitch lines on the front fabric  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
I'm going to give it a go, and hope it's better than the ones I did. They were OK, but I hate the messy stitching closing the pockets.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 14:53:34 PM »
I love that fabric but I would be tempted to do colouring in!
Life's too short for ironing.

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 19:33:25 PM »
My boyfriend's Dad put roman blind kits up for us March 2016 all around the house and I've only finished one blind 

What are Roman blind kits?

The blinds that I made years ago were hung from a fabric covered wooden batten with screw eyes inserted for the cords to run through. The blind was then held on the batten by velcro.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 20:50:25 PM »
What are Roman blind kits?

The blinds that I made years ago were hung from a fabric covered wooden batten with screw eyes inserted for the cords to run through. The blind was then held on the batten by velcro.

The kit comes with the velcro, rods, pockets, snap on loops and rather than just a batten is is pre-strung with the strings to put tie through the loops that then convene into just one string. Essentially it's the bits to make it minus the fabrics, and a bit more than just a batten. It's almost like a hollow batten and the string go inside it.

Hummingbird

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »
Cord/chain safety regulations for blinds including romans were introduced about 4 years ago, there is great information available on the Merrick & Day site explaining how to make blinds compliant. They also sell what is required in retail quantities......any kit you buy today should include what's required.

blind safety regs

For general info check RoSPA blind safety leaflet

If you are asked to make a blind for someone else then please check this info before proceeding so that you are not caught out. There has recently been a prosecution for supplying blinds that did not comply.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 16:06:07 PM by Hummingbird »

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
I make blinds for people, the blind chain on the kits have the safety  clip you attach to the wall is actually fitted to the chain with large safety labels attached I sometimes have to change the chain from silver to brass and always transfer all the hooks and labels ...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 16:35:30 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
Yes these all came with child strangulation warning labels.

Hummingbird

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 16:08:26 PM »
That's good news....the changes are not complicated but consequences can be tragic as there are apparently 30+ accidents a year where children become tangled with fatal outcome.

washi

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 19:26:51 PM »
Love the fabric, Francesca! I have the same IKEA print in the gray and white to make a roman blind for my kitchen window. I really should make that sometime.

Regarding safety, I do agree with the changes but my husband doesn't like that the cords hang separately so he knots them. Luckily the baby is a 13 year old teen and unlikely to get caught up in them.