The Sewing Place

Leggings and Colored Tights - UK

Missie

Re: Leggings and Colored Tights - UK
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 08:24:07 AM »
I love coloured tights....and shoes, especially shoes;  I am getting a reputation for my shoes at the moment!  I don't wear coloured leggings, only black.  In winter I wear leggings or thick tights, socks and boots.  And yes, all tights fall down!

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
I never thought of wearing them the way Karen Ball does in the link above under a dress that coordinates.
This is my warm weather look, but mine are black.  I might look for a different colour for next year. 

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
I'm amazed at tights falling down as I have always worn an extra pair of knickers over mine
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
I'm afraid it would take knickers of steel to stop my tights descending earthwards!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Francesca

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:05 AM »
Mine don't fall down, but they are damn near impossible to buy in my size. I think it's because not only am I quite fat I'm also long in the leg (I'm not tall, but I'm very off-proportioned so my legs, at least according to the Aldrich books, are equivalent of someone 5'9" but I'm only 5'6") I can never find them that readily. I have started purchasing them from "The Big Tights Company" which does what is says on the tin. What I like about their tights is that they have two seams in the back to curve around the bum rather than the single straight seam running round the crotch curve. Essentially they have a whole panel in the back which makes them shaped, rather than flat. They are expensive though, about £15 a pair and I can never seem to justify buying too many.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 13:51:55 PM »
Yeah, the double seam in the back are much better, although only Evans have them on the high street.  I buy extra large to ensure that I have the width to cope with the saddlebag upper thighs.  I have never spent a lot of money on everyday wear tights even when I was working, and go for the multi-packs.  I bought my last pairs from Matalan.

Sewbee

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 13:57:08 PM »
Will look for double seams in the back then. :) These will cover up a nasty varicose vein in the back of one of my legs and let me wear a coordinating dress. I haven't worn dresses in years but now I have found a way!!! Something I can sew, too!! :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 14:21:01 PM »
I've certainly seen double seams from time to time in various brands - mostly on bigger sizes. Mark and Spencer and John Lewis are worth looking at.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 15:53:34 PM »
http://handmadebycarolyn.com.au/2010/10/how-to-make-your-own-tights.html

^^
This is a link on diy tights making I bookmarked aeons ago - I have never tried to make any, but I always thought it might be fun one day as an experiment, so I thought I would share.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 17:17:30 PM »
As i don't do trousers I only ever wear coloured tight, have done since my teens. They do seem to be getting harder to find though. I used to get winter wooly one from BHS but now get them from here
Although they are Acrylic they are lovely and soft and they do stay up. The BHS ones i have threaded some knicker elastic through the top so they stay up.
For "best" i have fishnet or lace tights in ever colour, i also have some vintage i.e from when i was younger, Mary Quant tights with her trademark red poppy all over them.
One colour i definitely don't do and that is black in any form or shape, so depressing.
I also have chunky ankle socks in all colours that i wear with my walking shoes this time of year, when it is not cold enough yet for tights but fields dictate strong shoes are needed.
So if you see a middle aged women in colourful clothes and stout walking shoes with either ankle socks or equally colourful tights and 2 Westies in tow that will be me. 
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewbee

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 17:28:19 PM »
As i don't do trousers I only ever wear coloured tight, have done since my teens. They do seem to be getting harder to find though. I used to get winter wooly one from BHS but now get them from here
Although they are Acrylic they are lovely and soft and they do stay up. The BHS ones i have threaded some knicker elastic through the top so they stay up.
For "best" i have fishnet or lace tights in ever colour, i also have some vintage i.e from when i was younger, Mary Quant tights with her trademark red poppy all over them.
One colour i definitely don't do and that is black in any form or shape, so depressing.
I also have chunky ankle socks in all colours that i wear with my walking shoes this time of year, when it is not cold enough yet for tights but fields dictate strong shoes are needed.
So if you see a middle aged women in colourful clothes and stout walking shoes with either ankle socks or equally colourful tights and 2 Westies in tow that will be me.

I am about to join you :) I made a note of that link. Thank you.

Talking about dog walking, I am reminded that taking my two for walks has ruined a pair if my trainers and I decided I need to find something more substantial for the winter. I don't want to wear my dress boots, so I need to find ankle wellies or something.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 17:38:50 PM »
I am about to join you :) I made a note of that link. Thank you.

Talking about dog walking, I am reminded that taking my two for walks has ruined a pair if my trainers and I decided I need to find something more substantial for the winter. I don't want to wear my dress boots, so I need to find ankle wellies or something.
This is what i wear, http://www.kenmarcamping.co.uk/grisport-dartmoor-shoe-2213-p.asp they do look a bit clumpy but so very comfy and hard wearing as well as being waterproof. I wear mine every day and walk about 5/6 miles. I find wellies make my feet ache. The shop is local to me and i can vouch for their excellent customer service, have been buying boots and walking shoes from them for over 25 years.

Janet

Sewbee

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 17:41:41 PM »
This is what i wear, http://www.kenmarcamping.co.uk/grisport-dartmoor-shoe-2213-p.asp they do look a bit clumpy but so very comfy and hard wearing as well as being waterproof. I wear mine every day and walk about 5/6 miles. I find wellies make my feet ache. The shop is local to me and i can vouch for their excellent customer service, have been buying boots and walking shoes from them for over 25 years.

Thank you. I was thinking of something exactly like that. Wonder if they would make me look as if I have gigantic feet with a size 7! Even so, they look just fine for the purpose :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 18:35:03 PM »
Sewmuchmore I can see you in your tights and shoes from here. Wow Mary Quant tights? And also another reminder that we lost something valuable when  BHS closed.  :(

sewmuchmore

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 18:41:21 PM »
My mission in life is to make the world a more colourful place.  :)

Janet