The Sewing Place

Labels for your creations

Heikedog

Labels for your creations
« on: October 24, 2017, 14:53:27 PM »
Do you sew labels into the costumes you make?  I haven’t because I’ve primarily made for my DD, but I’m about to branch out a bit. In my mind, I’m envisioning a sew-in label that’s printed with my monogram but also has enough white space that I can hand-write size info. Chest =, waist =, etc.

Does such a thing exist?  Google has let me down thus far. 

toileandtrouble

Re: Labels for your creations
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 15:06:35 PM »
I have  just been looking at labels, try googling 'woven labels' (they usually do printed as well) or 'printed designer labels'. One I found was wovenlabelsuk.com, which posts worldwide, although I don't know about import duty to the USA. 
You could print your monogram with chest and waist in small letters alongside, with lines to write on.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 16:25:31 PM »
I was about to ask something very similar!

I have some lovely woven labels that just say 'Handmade by Acorn'.  I've had them for around 20 years, when they were given to me as a gift, and I only use them when I've made something like a bag as a present.  I am just running out.  I don't want a large number, and nothing other than the above written on them.  Does anyone know who might make labels like these?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 17:13:59 PM »
I think it's such a nice touch to have your own label. I used to have some silky woven ones but they were rough on the edges and irritated my neck. It's hard to buy them online because you really never know what you will get.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 18:27:32 PM »
I've used these for labels before and found them good. I've ordered the customised ones as well as the size ones in the garment section which are great if I make more than one size of an item in the same fabric for my kids.

https://www.wovenlabelsuk.com
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Sewbee

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 18:46:56 PM »
I've used these for labels before and found them good. I've ordered the customised ones as well as the size ones in the garment section which are great if I make more than one size of an item in the same fabric for my kids.

https://www.wovenlabelsuk.com

Thanks. I'm going to save that link. When my sewing room comes together and I begin to get some direction as regards my sewing I will probably order some.

Kad

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 19:46:45 PM »
I grew up in Coventry where JJ Cash was established. All the school kids got their name labels from them both printed and the woven type. I'm sure that they still exist.

jjcash.co.uk under designer woven labels
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 21:10:07 PM »
I have labels which say 'Made in Tamnytown by Tamnymore' if you see what I mean! I ordered them from Sewdirect and they are not very good quality  :'( but I'm determined to use them up. I got my orginal set of labels from Cash and they were loads better quality.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 21:12:00 PM »
Thank you - two good options there, and thanks Tamnymore for the heads up!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Hachi

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 22:02:57 PM »
I have never used personally, but The Dutch Label Shop has good reviews.

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 23:00:14 PM »
I'm sure someone posted on here about printing your own, which is probably the cheapest solution if you only want a few.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Make-Your-Own-Clothing-Labels/

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 14:25:06 PM »
I've used inkjet printer cotton for labels.  It's available at Cotton Patch but a pack of 5 sheets is quite pricy.  As its woven cotton I made the labels so that they could be folded in half and stitched into a seam.  I just use a dob of fray check on the two ends.
Life's too short for ironing.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »
I have some lovely satin ribbon labels, that are printed with my logo, and name.  They are custom made and don't have scratchy edges.  I get them from a lady on Etsy, in the uk, but there are suppliers all over the world.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=printed%20satin%20labels
You can choose the size, colour, just about everything, and I write on them with a biro.

Heikedog

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 22:23:04 PM »
I ordered some from Dutch Label. I only wanted a few and didn’t want to pay a small fortune for a truly custom label so I chose an image from their stock art work and then put on the text I wanted. My goal was to be able to put size info on a costume more than to put my name on it. I’ll post a pic when I receive them.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
I always buy from "Woven Labels" they're very good
Triumph of hope over experience :D